HILLSBORO — Second-place medallions were passed out and fell to the turf without anyone eager to pick them up. The silver OSAA trophy moved from player to player like a hot potato before finally being passed off to one of the assistant coaches.

In an effort to add comic relief to an otherwise somber setting, Summit coach Ron Kidder took off one of his green Adidas shoes with white stripes — his lucky shoes, gifted to him by his brother-in-law — and tossed it nearly 20 yards. All in jest.

No. 8 Summit fell 2-1 in overtime to No. 14 Franklin in the Class 6A boys soccer state championship Saturday at Hillsboro Stadium. It was the second year in a row that the Storm came up on the losing end in the season’s final game.

“Brutal,” Kidder said. “But it didn’t go to PKs, so I was happy one team got a goal and it didn’t end in penalty kicks.

“Unfortunately, it was the wrong team that scored in overtime.”

The deciding goal came in the 93rd minute, during the second overtime period. Franklin’s Jackson Kincaid-Osborn sent in a cross, which Andrew Reed headed in. Summit senior goalkeeper Khael Engelman got a piece of the ball, but he could not keep it out of the net.

“It was a reactionary play,” Kidder said. “Unfortunately, he just didn’t get enough on it, deflected it and it still went in.”

It was the first goal in nearly 85 minutes for Franklin, which held a lead for the majority of the match.

The Lightning from Portland delivered the first blow. Eight minutes in, Franklin’s Riley Reisner scored from 5 yards out to give his team the early advantage.

“They scored early, and we immediately realized that this isn’t going to be a cakewalk,” said Engelman, the Storm’s all-Mountain Valley Conference goalie. “We all thought we deserved something and quickly realized that we didn’t. We fought for the rest of that match because we knew we were going to have to earn it, but they worked harder, and they earned it.”

Against a team with the defensive prowess of Franklin (14-3-2) — which gave up one or fewer goals in 14 matches this season, including all five in the playoffs — giving up an early goal played right into the Lightning’s strength.

“They are a great defensive team,” Kidder said. “They have a great goalie, are well-organized, and it’s hard to get a goal on them. From a tactical standpoint, that was probably one of the worst things that could have happened.”

Summit (13-3-3) had its chances for the equalizing goal in the first half, but twice the Storm missed the mark on open nets. With 17 minutes left in the first half, senior Jack Fecteau’s shot off a rebound with an empty goal went wide right. With six minutes remaining, sophomore Nathaniel Deperro’s shot sailed high.

In the first two minutes of the second half, Summit again came up with a pair of fruitless attacks. Even though Kyle Capdevila won a ball in the air on a cross in the penalty area, Summit was not able to get a shot off before Franklin cleared. Shortly after, another Deperro shot was saved by Lightning goalkeeper Gael Salas-Lara.

For the match, Summit outshot Franklin, 14 shots to nine, and put more shots on goal, eight to Franklin’s six. As the Storm continued to create scoring chances, the Lightning were able to keep the ball out of the net.

With seven minutes remaining in regulation time, Summit finally broke through the Franklin defense. Sophomore Rory ­McKee sent in a free kick — essentially a corner kick from where the ball was placed — and Alex Grignon won the ball in a mass of bodies to even the score.

“I thought that we had a really good chance to win it in regulation,” Kidder said. “I thought we had some good momentum at times in overtime.”

But Summit had no answer to Franklin’s tiebreaking goal as time slipped away in the second overtime period. There was little that Kidder could say to his team — especially the 12 seniors — after coming up just short of reaching the mountaintop and winning the second state title in school history.

“They put their heart and soul into this program and every kid that commits four years to this program dreams of playing for a state championship for Summit High School,” said the Storm’s 14-year head coach, whose team won the 5A state title in 2013. “These kids did it for two years in a row. Unfortunately, we came up short both times. It’s a sad way to end.”

It was also the last time that Kidder will coach his son Simon, a senior and two-time MVC player of the year for whom Saturday’s game was his last in a Summit uniform.

“I couldn’t imagine when I started coaching — I didn’t have a child — to have a kid and have him be a soccer player, a committed soccer player. That’s a father’s dream come true,” a choked-up Ron Kidder said. “I’m going to miss having him around.”

— Reporter: 541-383-0307, brathbone@bendbulletin.com

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.