Bulletin staff report

MADRAS — Andres Acuna scored two second-half goals Wednesday, leading No. 5 Madras to a 3-0 victory over No. 12 Hidden Valley in the first round of the Class 4A boys soccer playoffs.

Leo Gutierrez scored 15 minutes into the match to make it 1-0 White Buffaloes, who advance to a state quarterfinal meeting with Brookings-Harbor at Brookings on Saturday. Madras downed Brookings-Harbor 3-0 in the semifinal round last year on its way to the 4A championship final.

“It’s gonna be a tough, physical game, I know that,” said Madras coach Clark Jones, looking ahead to Saturday’s rematch against Brookings-Harbor, the No. 4 seed. The Bruins beat No. 13 North Valley 3-0 in another first-round game Wednesday to remain undefeated this season at 12-0-2.

Madras boasts the same impressive record after eliminating Hidden Valley. The Mustangs from Grants Pass had few scoring opportunities against the White Buffaloes’ stout defense, and their best chance — a second-half penalty kick — was turned away by keeper Byron Patt.

Gutierrez scored with an assist from Yehir Aguirre to give Madras a 1-0 lead that stood through the first half. Midway through the second half, Acuna scored off a pass from Tyler Lockey to make it 2-0. Later in the period, Jonathan Reynoso assisted Acuna’s second goal to clinch the White Buffaloes’ eighth straight win.

Madras will be away from home for Saturday’s quarterfinal match, but Clark said he does not believe his team will be daunted by either the long road trip to the southern Oregon Coast or the higher-seeded Bruins.

“We want to get back to where we were last year (the 4A state final),” said Clark. “To do that, you’ve gotta go in with the mindset that you can win.”

Also Wednesday:

Boys soccer

Parkrose 3, Summit 2: PORTLAND — The No. 10-seeded Storm’s season came to a close as seventh-seeded Parkrose won 4-2 in penalty kicks in the first round of the Class 5A state playoffs. Simon Kidder gave Summit (10-3-2) a 1-0 lead in the 18th minute off an assist from Max Asevedo. In the second half, however, Parkrose deflected the Storm’s attempt to clear a ball out of their own box and into the goal to even the score 1-1 and force overtime. In the second of two 10-minute overtime periods, Asevedo scored with five minutes left, but Parkrose again answered, two minutes later, to send the match into penalty kicks. The Broncos’ goalkeeper made saves on each of Summit’s first two attempts, and the Broncos advanced to the quarterfinals.