Compiled by Don Hoiness from archived copies of the Bulletin at Deschutes County Historical Society.


For the week ending Oct. 27, 1918

German defenses to southeast of Bruges broken

The German defenses southeast of Bruges are reported to be broken. The Belgians, marching on Eecloo, are approaching Aalter.

The allies are pushing rapidly toward Deyzno and Ghent.

The enemy troops are being hurriedly massed before Valenciennes to ward off a blow of the advancing British, which is menacing the city.

The British are but seven miles distant.

The German armies are rapidly being squeezed into a bottle neck between ­Aux-la-Chapelle and Metz. It is believed that Ludendorf hopes to give general battle along this line, but by then his armies will be demoralized and broken, and not capable of a great effort.

The belief is expressed that if the allies do not relent the Germans will be crushed then, if not before, and it is this knowledge that has caused the plea for an armistice from the enemy.

The Belgians have reached the canal between Zeebrugge and Bruges.

The Germans are still holding the outskirts of the latter town, battle front dispatches state.

The British and Americans have captured Mazinghein, northeast of Bohain, together with Bazeuel, Field Marshall Haig has announced. Wassigny was captured yesterday.

The British are continuing their advance above the Sensee Canal, making a three-mile additional gain on a wide front northeast of Douai.

East of Lille the British have crossed the Marque river and have approached to within eight miles of Tournai.

France gives birds pension

War pigeons have personality. In their way they are conscientious in playing their part in the war as are the men they are aiding.

The proudest pigeons in France are the “Pigeons of Verdun.” During the dark days when Germany threw all her weight against the famous French stronghold and sacrificed thousands of men in an effort to break the line there, pigeons furnished the only means of communication with the fortresses for weeks.

They flew through the storm of German bombardment day after day. Many were killed. But when the fight was ended with victory for the French, the survivors of the Pigeons of Verdun were honored along with the men with whom they fought.

The Pigeons of Verdun are now pensioned.

They do not have to risk their lives in battle flights again. Being of the finest strain, many of their sons and daughters are now in the battle service of France, but the older birds — the real pigeons of Verdun — are living a life of ease, growing fat and shiny, and strutting proudly when exhibited.

“Old Satchelback” is a pigeon in a certain American cote that is a constant source of amusement to the men in charge of the flock.

“Satchelback” has almost human characteristics that apparently include a sense of humor. He isn’t what may be called a good bird. He isn’t as fast on the wing as others in the cote, but he is valuable for the influence he has on the other pigeons.

Often when a pigeon has flown through shell fire to bring back a message from the front, it will be nervous and unstrung. The bird will circle over the cote, but will not alight.

Then “Old Satchelback” is called on. He is released, and circling about the other bird, will head for the cote. If the newly returned pigeon fails to follow the first time, “Old Satchelback” tries again. On the second or third attempt he usually brings the other bird back with him.

“Old Satchelback” himself can’t take flying seriously. The most serious charge against him is that if he is given a message and gets tired on his way home he quits flying and walks.

75 Years ago

For the week ending

Oct. 27, 1943

‘War’ draws close to Bend; new lines set

Fourth Corps Headquarters, Oregon Maneuver Area — Concentration of red and blue troops in the eastern foothills of the Cascades revealed today that the main battles of the seventh problem of the Central Oregon war games would be fought in the southwest sector of the battle area.

The communities of Sisters, Tumalo, Cloverdale and Deschutes are expected to be prominent positions in the coming battle of the war games.

Bend and the area south of the Burns Highway were declared neutral sectors by the commanding generals.

K-9 corps of Camp Abbot to be ‘activated’ very soon

The K-9 Corps of Camp Abbot will go on active duty within the next few days.

The 12 dogs which comprise the detachment here will go on duty with civilian guards at vital posts of the Engineer Replacement Training Center (ERTC) which must by reason of war be under constant and heavy guard. Later this week civilian guards will be instructed in handling these army-trained dogs whose almost inaudible growls and rising hackles warn of trespassers.

Since the arrival of the corps several weeks ago, they have enjoyed a rather lazy life, getting accustomed to their new kennels and becoming acquainted with their trainers.

K-9 Corps members, like all soldiers, have army serial numbers and each dog goes by the name given it by its owner before its services were donated to the war effort.

“Sarge,” a German-shepherd, had been more or less recognized as a true sergeant of the corps until he became a bit recalcitrant and Sgt. Raoul Mound, in charge of the corps, “busted” him to a yardbird. “He appears a bit more docile now,” the sergeant commented as he told of this “drastic” disciplinary action.

“Antoine,” a French poodle, at four years of age the oldest member of the corps, is the most contented of the group. “Chico” is the beggar of the corps. It takes only a slight command for him to assume the posture of the most abject solicitor of food. Then there is “Duke” a Great Dane-­Boxer, who weighs considerably in excess of 100 pounds. He prefers the roof of his kennel for sleeping purposes. “Boy,” the trim Australian shepherd, keeps his fur immaculately groomed, while “Pal” the half German shepherd, half-coyote, looks as if he might be straight from the wild prairies. Perhaps the most ferocious of the group is “Seigie,” a trim German shepherd. “Seigie” capably demonstrates the nature of the dogs. Straining at her chain which runs from the kennel, she leaps at the visitor in a fashion that would frighten the bravest, yet placed on a leash, she is once more the home dog.

Few dogs in civilian life are given better care than are members of Camp Abbots K-9 Corps.

Sgt. Raoul Mound attended a course at Fort Robinson, Neb. and handled the first K-9 corps at Camp Adair when it was decided to have a corps detachment here. He went to a dog training center for a refresher course and trained members of the Camp Abbot corps.


For the week ending

Oct. 27, 1968

‘The flop’ makes people flip

You haven’t seen anything until you see skinny tousel-haired Dick Fosbury, the new Golden Boy of the Olympics.

He’s harder to see than most of the other competitors here and the reason is some people put their hands over their eyes before he starts his specialty. They are afraid to look. They worry he’ll break his neck

“I worry a little too,” confesses the 21-year-old new Olympic high jump champ from Medford, Oregon. “I worry about hurting myself.”

Fosbury should. The way he jumps he makes it seem as if his next try will be his last. That’s why people park their hearts in their mouths when he begins his takeoff.

Fearless Fosbury simply is unbelievable.

Approaching the bar, he makes an almost imperceptible half-turn as he gets to it, leaps backwards on those sponge-like feet of his and then flips himself over the bar, still with his back to it, and comes down on his shoulder-blades — if he’s lucky.

They call it the “Fosbury Flop” and it’s a spectacle, the like of which never has been seen in either amateur or professional athletes before. “I’ve never seen anybody else ever high jump that way,” says Payton Jordan, the U.S. track and field coach who has been watching high jumpers more than 35 years. “Fosbury is absolutely amazing.”

Fosbury is so amazing he already has “stolen” the Olympic Games. Sunday when for the first time during the eight days of competition, the entire assemblage came to a complete silence as he prepared for one of his jumps.

Fosbury failed on that particular jump. Had he made it he would have had the world record. He missed but the crowd gave him a tremendous ovation. He earned it by his 7 foot 4- 1⁄4 jump earlier which brought him and the U.S. a gold medal.

The new Olympic champ has been jumping since he was 11 when he used the scissors method to get over, but eventually abandoned it because he found he could go only so high. He began using his present style as a senior in high school and resisted the efforts of one coach to change him over to more the conventional straddle method.

“I think quite a few kids will begin trying it my way now,” said Fosbury. “I don’t guarantee any results. And I don’t recommend my style to anyone. All I say is if a kid can’t straddle, he can try my way. Maybe he’ll do okay with it and maybe he won’t.”

The odds are he won’t. Imitations never compare with the original and Dick Fosbury is the copyright owner of the Fosbury Flop.


For the week ending

Oct. 27,1993

Man who built Mt. Bachelor dies

Bill Healy whose vision turned a local ski hill into one of the nation’s premier skiing centers, died this morning after a long illness. He was 68.

A man often credited for his leadership, Healy’s longtime vision of a topflight ski resort on a hill then called Bachelor Butte was the spark that built Mount Bachelor into a leader in the ski industry. Although he often worked behind the scenes and shunned publicity, Healy earned accolades throughout the region for his unflagging support of the Central Oregon economy and community projects.

Healy founded Mount Bachelor, Inc. in 1958 after he and a small group of investors put together a $75,000 start-up fund and obtained a one-year lease from the U.S. Forest Service. That began the fulfillment of a dream Healy had already nurtured for many years.

“He had always dreamed of having a ski area there on Bachelor,” said longtime friend Mac Bosch. “He had a vision that it was going to be a big operation, real first class ski area.”

Kathy DeGree, vice president of marketing for the company, said Healy’s vision became a company trademark as he began a master planning process that was unheard of in the industry before then. “Bill was a man so far ahead of his time in terms of planning it really became one of his key strengths.”

Healey grew up in the Portland area and came to Bend in 1950 to operate the family’s furniture store. Bosch remembers after starting Mount Bachelor, Healy continued running the family business while running the ski operation “out of the back of the store.”

But the ski business soon became a full-time job as Healy oversaw the installation of the first ski lifts in the 1960s and tirelessly promoted the operation. Bosch said Healy rarely came up short when confronting the problems of a growing business.

“Once he had to go to Portland and raise $1 million for the company that day,” Bosch remembered. “He did it before sunset.”

In the early 1980s, Healy began showing symptoms of a neuromuscular disease resembling Lou Gehrig’s disease. Although he rejected the diagnosis, the illness gradually diminished his ability to get around and communicate.

But he continued his active involvement with the company, even after stepping down as president in 1988 and sharing chairmanship of the company’s board of directors.

He continued coming to work everyday up until he entered the hospital in October.

Bosch said he drove Healy up to the mountain about two weeks ago to check on the progress of the latest ski lift installation. Bosch said there wasn’t a person who didn’t recognize Healy and come over to talk or shake his hand.

“He was a great leader, a natural leader,” Bosch said. “He was that way all his life, and it just permeates the whole company. He was just that kind of person.”