Compiled by Don Hoiness from archived copies of The Bulletin at Deschutes County Historical Society.


For the week ending

Oct. 6, 1918

Booze in ricks in county jail

Nearly 200 quarts of Sunnybrook and Jesse Moore AA are in the possession of Sheriff S.E. Roberts, and Byrd Lowell, W.E. Hogue and Billie Robinson are in the county jail as a result of a haul made this morning by Sheriff Roberts on the La Pine road about seven miles east of the city.

For two weeks Mr. Roberts and L.A.W. Nixon have been keeping the three men under their surveillance.

It is the opinion of the officials that the men have been bringing “booze” into the district, and an affair at Alfalfa two weeks ago when liquor was flowing freely at a dance held there confirmed their suspicions.

The men left for the California line in an automobile late last week and the officials immediately set their plans to catch them upon their return.

Yesterday afternoon Sheriff Roberts, in company with L.A.W. Nixon, drove out on the route the men must return by and laid in wait for them. All cut-off roads over which the men might reach either of their homes were watched, the vigil lasting all night until nearly noon today.

At about 11 o’clock the sheriff left Nixon to guard one of the cut-off roads and started for Bend to get another man to relieve them.

He had been gone but less than half an hour when the car with the three men appeared and Nixon made the arrest.

He notified Roberts at once and the men were brought to this city and placed in the county jail, where they will be held pending their trial, which is to take place some time tomorrow.

This afternoon, while in the county jail, one of the men insisted that the trial be held immediately so that he might be released from custody in order to put up his hay, which he complains is down in the field and awaiting his attention.

This is one of the biggest hauls that has ever been made in the county.

All of the liquor is in the original wrappings and is piled in the corridor of the jail much the same as cordwood.

Woman suffrage may see defeat

WASHINGTON — The defeat of woman’s suffrage when the senate votes on it this session was made certain today when Senator Benet of South Carolina, in his maiden speech, came out against the amendment.

Benet’s stand has astounded the suffragists, for he had been counted as among the 31 Democrats who would support the resolution.

Ferdinand expected to go to Austria

GENEVA — King Ferdinand’s two daughters arrived in Vienna Saturday and stated that their father is expected to follow shortly. The Bulgarian monarch has large sums of money deposited in Swiss banks and it is understood the daughters have brought the crown jewels with them.


For the week ending

Oct. 6, 1943

Italians join new allies in war on Nazis

Allied Headquarters, North Africa — Some units of the Italian army, navy and air force have gone into action against their former allies, the Germans, it was revealed today coincident with the announcement of a meeting of General Dwight D. Eisenhower and Marshal Pietro Badoglio.

Eisenhower, Badoglio and their top military advisors held a counsel on war on means for Italy to operate most effectively against the Germans, now that sections of all three Italian armed forces joined actively in the war alongside the allies.

Roosevelt hopeful Rome will escape from war ravages

President Roosevelt today likened the allied drive in Italy, now that Naples has fallen, to a crusade to eliminate Pope Pius XII, the Vatican and Rome from the Nazis.

He told his press and radio conference that the allied advance northward now centers on liberation of the eternal city and the Vatican. Every effort is being made, he declared, to avoid fighting which would lead to destruction of historic Rome.

He said he doubted reports that the Germans would make their next stand on a line with Rome, saying that it was now difficult to determine where the next stand will be.

News of the occupation of Naples was flashed to the president by Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower just a few minutes before the president met his press and radio conference.

12 dogs of war now at Abbot

CAMP ABBOT — Twelve war dogs have arrived at this post and are already being trained for their new duties with civilians guards. The dogs offer a variety of species — Great Dane, shepherd, one that is half-coyote, half-dog, one half-wolf, half-dog, and “Antoine de la Francois,” a French poodle.

The dogs, all of which have been donated by their owners for use in winning the war, were brought to Camp Abbot from San Carlos California, war dog reception center, by Sgt. Raoul Mound of the Camp Abbot military police, who previous to receiving late instruction at San Carlos, had eight weeks of training with the dogs at the Fort Robinson, Nebraska, war dog training center.

Special kennels have been built for the patriotic pooches, and they are already being trained by Sgt. Mound, assisted by Privates Eugene Van Degraff and Bert Simpson, for their new work.

The animals, capable of remaining at a command from 6 to 18 hours without the company of a guard, are taught to heel, sit and “watch.” It is the latter command that brings the dog to the alert, ready to spring at any trespasser.

After a half-hour of training preliminary to their new duties, the animals are given a rest. Feedings of horsemeat, dry cereal, carrots, bread and evaporated milk are given once a day, and their kennels are thoroughly cleaned.


For the week ending

Oct. 6, 1968

Five athletes travel long way for grid practice

Dedication is the life blood of any good high school or college football player, and Bend High School very dedicated varsity football players.

Ken Johnson, Joe Sandoz, Cliff Edgington, Vic Russell and John Susac have to be what one would call determined and dedicated. Combined they travel nearly 340 miles per day to go to school and practice football.

Johnson, Camp Sherman, travels 80 miles per day. Susac, Fall River, has a round trip of 54 miles. Sandoz who lives at the Santiam Y travels a total of 96 miles for school and practice. Edgington, from Sisters, has a 48 mile trip each day while Russell, La Pine, has a 60 mile round trip to take.

It’s a long way to travel even in this day and age of automobiles and buses, but these boys don’t seem to mind.

Johnson, Susac and Russell bus in from their respective points and then take cars to get home. Susac, Russell and eight others who play junior varsity and junior high school football now have a car pool. Starting this week their families will be combining efforts to get them home.

“Before,” said Russell, “we were riding with a lady that worked at the mill. She had a pickup and we rode in the back. But, she isn’t making that trip anymore and we had to find another way home. Last year I lived in Bend and it wasn’t much trouble to get home. It’s a little more difficult now.”

“We drop John (Susac) off at the junction to his home,” Russell added, “then he walks from there or is picked up then we go on.”

Johnson comes in by bus in the morning and then is picked up and taken home by his parents. “It makes a long day of it,” he said, “but I don’t mind.”

Sandoz and Edgington have the most interesting arrangement of any members of the group.

“Joe drives a van in from the Y,” Edgington said. “He brings his sisters and other kids from that area in to Sisters, where they catch a bus for their different schools.”

“He brings the van into Bend two days a week. Three days a week, Joe leaves the van parked in Sisters and we bring one of my family’s cars to Bend. My mother who works at the high school drives one car and Joe drives the other, That way, she doesn’t have to wait for us or work her schedule around our practices.

Most of the boys leave home around 7:10 a.m. in order to get to school on time. Many of them don’t get home until after 7 p.m. It makes a long day of it.

Sandoz who has the longest trip of the bunch added, “I usually get home about 8:15 or 8:30 p.m., eat, do some homework if I’m not too tired, and go to bed.”

“I try to do my studying during free periods,” Russell said, “so that when I get home, I can do some chores, eat and go to bed.”

The others readily agreed that food and bed were the things they most wanted when they got home.

When asked if football was worth the effort, Joe Sandoz summed it up when he said: “If it wasn’t worth it I wouldn’t be here.”


For the week ending

Oct. 6, 1993

Metolius River is a special place (Editorial)

The Warm Springs tribes often throw their considerable weight around in debates about use of land and water near the reservation. They have done so again by announcing a ban on boating on the Metolius River.

While we question the timing of the decision — a multi-agency group is at work on a wild and scenic river plan for the Metolius — there are good reasons to oppose boating on the lower stretches of the Metolius.

It is a cold, swift and narrow stream more dangerous than most other rivers popular with whitewater enthusiasts. A kayaker drowned there this summer. To make it safer, boaters want to remove trees that have fallen in the river — the same trees important to fish habitat.

It is a relatively remote, pristine river that has not yet been widely discovered by boaters. Bordered on one side by the reservation and the other by mostly Forest Service land, it would be a shame if the Metolius became as exploited as most other popular rafting rivers in the state.

The lower Metolius should be preserved as a primitive area. There are natural resources that simply should not be thrown open to all comers and all users. Those that argue that the use of the Metolius is small and has yet to cause environmental damage must admit that boater numbers are climbing and it is only a matter of time before the stream is “discovered” in a much bigger way.

Too, the tribes are not arguing that the lower Metolius should be made off-limits to the public. The hiking, fishing and mountain biking that has taken place there should be encouraged.

It’s not at all clear what practical effect the tribes’ decision will have on boating in the river. There are Forest Service signs that tell of the supposed boating closure, but rafting and kayaking the Metolius still is legal as far as the state and local governments are concerned. The tribes aren’t likely to start handing out citations there.

However, the tribes have made a statement about boating on the Metolius. The Metolius is not the Deschutes or the McKenzie. This stream enjoyed and treasured by so man`y Central Oregonians must not become yet another waterway crowded with boaters.

German prisoners of war visit prison 50 years later

To young, lonely prisoners of war thousands of miles from home during World War II she was a friendly face known simply as “Sarge.”

To Gladys Hritsko, the Germans were “the boys.” Hritsko, now 73, returned to Fort Leonard Wood looking for the German POWs she befriended when she was a sergeant in the Womens Army Corps 50 years ago.

“I got attached to them,” said Hritsko, who drove a truck carrying German POWs to work details. “We felt at ease with each other. After all they were 18 and 19-year old boys, same age as me.”

Many got choked up when they arrived Saturday and saw the familiar oak forest hugging the hills.

The Germans held at Fort Leonard Wood had been members of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel’s Afrika Korps. They were captured in Tunisia by British and American troops.

American organizers located former POWs through veterans’ groups. The German government funded their trip.

They vividly recalled the armed guards. “Now we are greeted with hand shakes,” declared many.

The barracks where the soldiers lived have been recreated as part of a post museum.

Some of the visitors quietly noted that many Allied prisoners fared far worse and that scores of German soldiers died in Soviet camps.

One man joked that if he had known he would be treated so well as a prisoner of war, he would have been captured years earlier.