Although summer still has a hold on Central Oregon, school will start for nearly every student in the region’s six school districts in just two weeks.
With the exception of kindergarten students in some districts, every student will begin classes in the first week of September — just after Labor Day on Sept. 2. Some schools and districts will host back-to-school events, either before or after the first day of school.
Every school in Central Oregon’s largest school district, Bend-La Pine Schools, will host some sort of open house where families can meet teachers and see the school. The dates for these events range from late August to mid-October, and can be found at Bend-La Pine’s website.
• Bend and La Pine students in first through ninth grade will start class Sept. 4.
• Grades 10-12 will start Sept. 5.
• Kindergartners will start on one of those two days, depending on the school.
Students in Redmond School District will start school over several days.
• On Sept. 3, those entering second through sixth grade, along with ninth graders, will begin classes.
• All students except kindergartners and first graders will begin Sept. 4.
• First graders will start class Sept. 5.
• On Sept. 9-11, one-third of Redmond’s kindergartners will start each day, with the whole grade coming together Sept. 12.
Most schools in Redmond School District will have open house events in September and October. Only two schools will host families before school starts, both starting at 3 p.m. Aug. 29: Terrebonne Community School and M.A. Lynch Elementary.
Jefferson County School District will have staggered school start times through the first week of September. Most students start Sept. 3, while the rest will start later and will be notified of the exact date by school.
• Crook County School District will start classes for all first through sixth graders, along with ninth graders, on Sept. 3.
• Every other middle and high school student will start Sept. 4.
• Kindergartners will be split into two groups, with half attending class Sept. 5 and 6, and the other half starting Sept. 9 and 10. The two groups will attend school together on Sept. 11.
The two Prineville elementary schools, Brothers Elementary and Crook County Middle School, will have open house events on the evening of Aug. 28. Paulina Elementary will have a pancake breakfast for families at 8 a.m. Sept. 5. There is no open house planned for Crook County High School.
• In Sisters School District, first through ninth graders will begin class on Sept. 3.
• The rest of Sisters High School starts Sept. 4.
• Kindergartners begin Sept. 9.
Students at Sisters Elementary School can participate in “Stop N Drop” at 5 p.m. Aug. 28, where incoming students can drop off school supplies at the school, meet their new teachers and eat free ice cream.
In Culver, all students except kindergartners will begin school Sept. 3. Kindergarten students start class Sept. 9.
Culver will host an open house for all families at 6 p.m. Aug. 29 in the high school gym, where parents will be informed about new rules and staff for the 2019-20 school year. After the assembly, families will break out and visit their students’ new classrooms to meet teachers.
— Reporter: 541-617-7854, firstname.lastname@example.org