Shortly before 10 p.m. Monday, a Deschutes County sheriff’s deputy encountered a homeless man walking in the middle of U.S. Highway 97 near Tumalo Road north of Bend. The deputy stopped the man, 34-year-old Christopher Bonjorni, and determined that he was suffering from burns caused by a fire at his nearby campsite. Bonjorni was taken to St. Charles Bend with potentially life-threatening injuries, according to a Sheriff’s Office press release.
Deputies and firefighters found Bonjorni’s campsite about one-quarter of a mile east of Highway 97. The fire appears to have been caused by a propane cooking stove that ignited a tent and surrounding materials. It spread to an area roughly 50 feet by 50 feet. No other people were present at the camp.