Bulletin staff report

For the second time in three days the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue had to rescue a climber in the Three Sisters Wilderness.

A Portland man climbing North Sister had to be airlifted to St. Charles Bend on Saturday after becoming seriously injured in a rock collapse.

Josh Lockerby, 49, was climbing the summit of North Sister when there was a rock collapse that injured him and forced him to stop climbing. Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue received a report of his injuries at about 11:25 a.m., according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.

Lockerby was with a group of about a dozen climbers who helped him start the descent at 10,030 feet of elevation after he became injured. North Sister’s summit is 10,085 feet.

An air ambulance was sent with two, two-person mountain rescue teams to the saddle between North Sister and Middle Sister to help the group with their descent. The first mountain rescue team landed at about 1:35 p.m. and began climbing to Lockerby’s location. The second team arrived as soon as the air ambulance could fly back to Bend and return to the saddle between the two Sisters.

Mountain rescue team members found Lockerby needed to be transported to a medical facility via an air ambulance versus the long hike out to Pole Creek Trailhead, according to the sheriff’s office release.

Responders requested an Army National Guard Black Hawk helicopter to help in rescuing Lockerby from the southeast ridge of North Sister. With help from other climbers, the mountain rescue team found a landing zone for the helicopter so Lockerby would not have to be hoisted. The helicopter landed at about 7:30 p.m. and Lockerby arrived to St. Charles Bend at about 7:50 p.m. where he was treated for “serious non-life threatening injuries,” according to the release.

Rescuers and Lockerby’s climbing group walked back to Pole Creek Trailhead, arriving at about 10:45 p.m.

On Monday, search and rescue responded to an incoherent hiker below the summit of South Sister, a sheriff’s office news release said. Deschutes County 911 received the call at 12:41 p.m. and sent out nine search and rescue volunteers along with two deputies. An AirLink helicopter flew two volunteers to a location about 600 feet below 24-year-old Jhonzell Burton of Portland, who had been pulled into the shade by fellow hikers.

Six search and rescue volunteers hiked up toward Burton from the Devil’s Lake trailhead with a stretcher and other gear to help pack Burton out. One volunteer stayed back at AirLink to assist with communication during the mission.

The volunteers flown up the mountain contacted Burton at 2:30 p.m., the release said. He was at 8,600 feet. An hour later the volunteers began to move Burton down the mountain with help from other hikers. At lower elevation, they met up with the helicopter, which transported Burton to St. Charles.

According to the release, Burton was on his way to summit the mountain when unknown medical problems stopped him.