The former Redmond school principal facing a possible life sentence for alleged sexual relationships with students is back in Deschutes County after absconding in the fall.

Michael Richard Tallman, who changed his name from Michael Bremont in 2017, was captured in February by U.S. Marshals in Paducah, Kentucky, after allegedly from County just before he was to stand trial for abusing a third former student.

Tallman, 46, was charged in Kentucky with evading police and resisting arrest. Last week, he was transported by marshals to Bend, where he’s being held without bail in the Deschutes County jail.

Tallman remains charged with 10 counts of second-degree sexual abuse for an alleged yearslong relationship with a former student of the Redmond Proficiency Academy, when the girl was 17 and Tallman was the 36-year-old head of the school. If convicted, he could face life in prison under Oregon’s three strikes law for felony sex offenses.

Tallman now faces the additional criminal charges of first-degree failure to appear in court and criminal mischief for damaging a GPS ankle monitor when he made his break for freedom.

Tallman was a well-known school official in the Redmond area until an arrest in 2012 for an inappropriate relationship with a former RPA student. That arrest kicked off a spiral of criminal behavior, including arrests for stealing equipment from RPA and another for leading police on a high-speed chase on a motorcycle.

Tallman has used a number of aliases since his first arrest for sex abuse in 2012. Five years later, he legally took second wife’s last name — Tallman.

Megan Tallman was with her husband at the time of his arrest, according to a recent motion filed by the Deschutes County district attorney. She is not currently charged with assisting her husband in his flight from the law.

On Oct. 18, Tallman failed to appear for a pretrial conference. Five days later, police searched his Redmond home and allegedly discovered a GPS monitor he’s said to have cut off his leg.

Security in the case had been set at $500,000, meaning he had to post $50,000 to be released from jail while awaiting trial. Tallman’s wife, Megan, posted the amount on his behalf.

On Friday, Deschutes County prosecutor Mary Anderson filed a motion asking the court to forfeit Tallman’s $50,000 bail.

He was arraigned Friday and appointed a public defender to represent him.

— Reporter: 541-383-0325,