The estate of a Redmond rancher gored to death by one of his yaks in 2017 is suing the Deschutes County 911 district for failing to dispatch emergency personnel.

Brian Wing operated a hobby yak ranch at his home on SW McVey Avenue in Redmond. The following account of his last moments comes from a $7 million wrongful death lawsuit filed last week in Deschutes County Circuit Court.

On Aug. 16, 2017, Wing, 39, was working on his ranch when he was gored in the right leg by one of yaks, causing extensive bleeding.

At 12:52 p.m., he called 911 on his cellphone but was unable to speak due to his injury, according to court documents. Instead he “moaned in pain.”

After two minutes, Deschutes 911 ended the call.

A minute later, at 12:56 p.m., a dispatcher called back Wing’s phone and left a voicemail message: “You called 911. If this is an emergency, call us back.”

“Due to his injuries, Brian Wing was unable to check his voicemail nor call (Deschutes 911) back,” wrote Tim Williams, lawyer for Wing’s family, in the lawsuit.

Wing either walked or crawled back to his front porch, where he collapsed.

Forty-nine minutes later, Wing’s wife, Valerie, arrived home and saw a trail of blood around the garage and house, according to the lawsuit. She followed the trail to find her husband unconscious and bleeding on the porch. He was breathing and had a pulse, the lawsuit states. She called 911 and emergency workers were dispatched at 1:50 p.m.

As she waited for them to arrive, she attempted to apply a tourniquet to his leg.

The first ambulance arrived at 1:57 p.m. — an hour after he attempted to call 911, according to the lawsuit.

Wing was rushed to St. Charles Redmond, arriving there at about 2:30 p.m., the suit states. Due to his severe blood loss, he was airlifted to St. Charles Bend, arriving there at approximately 5 p.m. In an effort to save him, Wing’s right leg was amputated.

He was pronounced dead of extreme blood loss and other complications at 10:20 p.m.

The lawsuit states Deschutes 911 would have pinged Wing’s phone after his initial call and been notified the phone was located near Wing’s property on McVey Road.

Wing had called 911 with his cellphone several times prior to his death, according to the suit. Once in 2015, he called to report his neighbors were having a domestic dispute. And in 2017, he called to report several dogs were attacking his yaks.

In both cases, emergency personnel responded to Wing’s property.

Deschutes 911 service district has not been served with the suit. Calls to the agency director and Deschutes County’s legal counsel were not returned.

Deschutes 911’s policy with hang-ups is to dispatch personnel when the call came from a land line. In cases where the call came from a cellphone, dispatchers are to send personnel at their discretion.

Deschutes 911 was formed in 1988 to consolidate fire, police and medical services in Deschutes County. Today it dispatches for 15 police and fire/EMS agencies, as well as the U.S. Forest Service, Oregon State Police and AirLink emergency rescue service.

Wing was survived by his wife and daughter.

— Reporter: 541-383-0325,