Bulletin Staff Report

Fire destroyed a pair of Bend homes overnight, and fireworks were responsible for at least one of the blazes, according to the Bend Fire Department.

Just before midnight July 4, firefighters responded to a fire at 3154 NW Craftsman Dr. The home, owned by John and Anouk Tapper, was fully involved when the firefighters arrived, according to a fire department press release. The blaze had been reported by neighbors, who said the back of the house was burning amid explosions.

Firefighters arrived to discover a fire in the garage that had spread throughout the house, causing extensive damage. They were unable to enter the home safely, and the home appears to be a complete loss, according to a fire department press release. The fire department would like people to steer clear of the home Friday while work continues.

Early Friday morning, meanwhile, the Bend Fire Department responsded to a carport fire in the Country Sunset Mobile Home Park on SE 27th Street. When firefighters arrived, the fire was spreading to the adjacent home, owned by Jose Oliberos. The fire was extinguished after doing extensive damage, according to a fire department press release, and the home, at 61445 SE 27th St. #26, is considered a complete loss.

The latter fire was caused by the improper disposal of used fireworks, according the the fire department. They were placed in a cardboard box located in the carport a few hours before the fire was spotted.

23580984