By Gillian Flaccus

The Associated Press

PORTLAND — Angel Granados-Diaz, 19, pleaded not guilty Monday during a brief court hearing to a felony count of possessing a weapon in a public building — a Portland high school — and three misdemeanors.

Former University of Oregon football star Keanon Lowe said he had just entered a classroom at Parkrose High School, where he works as a coach and security guard when a student armed with a black shotgun appeared in the doorway. Lowe had just seconds Friday to react. He lunged at the gunman and wrestled with him for the weapon as other students ran screaming out a back door, Lowe told reporters Monday at a news conference.

Lowe said he managed to get the gun away from the student and pass it to a teacher while Lowe held down the student with his other hand. Lowe wrapped the student in a bear hug until police arrived, he said.

No one was injured. Police are still trying to determine if any shots were fired.

Lowe, who is head football and track coach at Parkrose, said he had a few moments with the teenager, who was distraught, before police arrived.

“It was emotional for him’ it was emotional for me. In that time, I felt compassion for him. A lot of times, especially when you’re young, you don’t realize what you’re doing until it’s over,” Lowe said.

“I told him I was there to save him. I was there for a reason and this was a life worth living.”

Granados-Diaz’s public defender, Grant Hartley, declined to comment.

Granados-Diaz turned 19 in jail on Monday, the same day students at Parkrose High returned to class after an emotional weekend that included their prom.

Parkrose School District Superintendent Michael Lopes-Serrao said two students had previously informed a staff member of “concerning behavior” by the student before the incident.

He said school security personnel were responding to those concerns when Granados-Diaz arrived at the classroom.

A police report says the incident was a “suicide attempt with a gun” and someone added in bold handwriting “enhanced bail/suicidal.”

Granados-Diaz was being held on $500,000 bail and has another court appearance next week, according to court papers.