A Prineville man who abused his infant twin sons last year was sentenced to 30 days in jail and three years’ probation.

Justin Michael Viescas, 26, pleaded no contest to two counts of first-degree criminal mistreatment Wednesday before being sentenced in Crook County Circuit Court.

Two counts of third-degree assault were dropped as part of the plea agreement.

Viescas faced the maximum punishment for first-degree criminal mistreatment, which is five years in prison and a $125,000 fine for each count, according to Viescas’ plea petition.

But he received a lighter sentence due to having no criminal history, according to the sentencing guidelines the defense and prosecutors agreed upon.

Viescas admitted in his plea petition that he unlawfully and knowingly caused physical injury to his sons. The abuse occurred last year at his home on the 600 block of NW Fifth Street in Prineville.

Prineville Police began investigating Viescas on July 18, when one of his sons, who was 6 weeks old, was treated at St. Charles Prineville for a broken femur in his right leg, according to a search warrant affidavit filed in Crook County Circuit Court.

Viescas told police he was trying to help his son’s constipation by rotating the boy’s legs. The boy began resisting the motion so Viescas applied a bit more pressure and after a few rotations heard a popping noise, he told officers.

Viescas also told police another story about how two days prior he slipped while holding his son in the crook of his arm similar to holding a football and Viescas fell into a dresser. The boy was then pinned between Viescas and the dresser, pinching the boy’s legs, according to the affidavit.

The boy was transported by air ambulance to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland.

After being examined at the Prineville and Portland hospitals, medical staff found the boy had fractures on his shins and abnormalities on his ribs, along with the broken femur, according to the affidavit.

Medical staff examined Viescas’ other son and discovered he had multiple healing fractures on his ribs and both shins. The staff determined the injuries to both boys were not accidental, according to the affidavit.

During another interview with police July 23, Viescas said he would regularly swaddle his sons, and sometimes swaddle them too tight. The officers asked Viescas what was going through his mind when he realized he was swaddling them too tight.

“I don’t know,” Viescas said. “Just frustrated. Just want them to stop crying.”

— Reporter: 541-617-7820, kspurr@bendbulletin.com