Bulletin Staff Report

The Deschutes County District Attorney’s Office says Shantel Witt, accused of manslaughter in the 2017 death of a Bend cyclist, violated her conditional release for a second time when she stopped at a Walgreens after a court hearing.

Deputy District Attorney Kari Hathorn is asking a judge for a hearing to give Witt a chance to show why her conditional release should not be modified or revoked. If her release is revoked, she could await her January trial in Deschutes County jail. A hearing is set for Thursday.

Witt, 42, of Bend, is accused of killing Marika Stone on Dodds Road east of Bend when she allegedly struck the cyclist with a pickup while driving impaired by prescription medications Dec. 30, 2017.

She has been free on bail but under electronic GPS and alcohol monitoring. According to court documents, she is only allowed to leave her home to attend medical appointments, court appearances and meetings with her attorney.

In August, Witt petitioned Deschutes County Circuit Court for permission to attend the christening or baptism of a grandchild. It was denied.

On Dec. 3, Witt asked Vigilnet, the company that oversees the electronic monitoring, if she could visit a grandchild at the hospital after her daughter gives birth, but did not ask the court for this modification to her release conditions.

On Monday, Witt had a daylong court hearing to determine the admissibility of a blood test obtained after the crash that killed Stone. According to the district attorney’s office, Witt made an unauthorized and unscheduled stop after the court hearing concluded at 5 p.m.

According to documents from Vigilnet, Witt stopped at Walgreens on U.S. Highway 20.

Witt had violated her release agreement in March, when she failed to charge her electronic monitor, according to court documents. At that time, Deschutes County Circuit Court Judge Bethany Flint increased Witt’s bail from $270,000 to $350,000.

Witt faces charges of first-degree manslaughter, driving under the influence of intoxicants and reckless endangerment. Her trial is set to begin Jan. 29.

Witt faces a $32 million wrongful death lawsuit from the estate of Marika Stone, a Bend dentist with two children.