Bulletin staff report

An apparent flue fire that spread to the attic destroyed a Crooked River Ranch manufactured home Friday morning, fire officials reported.

Firefighters responded at 6:43 a.m. to the home on Dove Lane, where they found smoke coming out of the roof and eaves, and fire burning between the ceiling and the roof, according to a report from Crooked River Ranch Fire & Rescue. Crews searched the home but found no one inside. They put out the fire, then stayed on the scene for three hours to open holes in walls and ceilings to be sure the fire wasn’t still burning. According to the report, the operation was hindered by “the overloading of contents within the home.”

The home’s occupants, Jonathan Addington and Katelynn Cox, were found to have escaped the home along with their cat, and were standing nearby with a group of onlookers, according to the report. There were smoke alarms in the home, but they didn’t work.

Fire officials said the home and its contents were a total loss estimated at $280,000.