Two Bend residents were seriously burned and a 3-year-old avoided injury Sunday evening after an explosion in their home due to the illegal manufacturing of butane honey or hash oil, according to Bend Police.
Bend Police responded at 5:31 p.m. to a report of a loud boom in the area of NE Weddell Road and NE Hidden Valley Drive. Officers determined an explosion happened at 3058 NE Weddell Road No. 2, where they found David Carl Paulsen, 32, Jennifer Rose Paulsen, 32, and a girl, 3, inside the home at the time of the explosion.
Both adults were seriously burned and transported to St. Charles Bend by the Bend Fire Department. The 3-year-old girl was not injured, but was later evaluated at St. Charles as a precaution.
The duplex structure has significant damage from the explosion. The blast was strong enough to lift the roof off the building and move the foundation by about 4 inches, according to police.
The neighboring duplex resident was evacuated until the entire structure could be made safe.
Officers searched the Paulsens’ duplex and found evidence that showed the explosion was likely due to butane being used to extract THC, for the manufacture of butane honey or hash oil.
The investigation is ongoing. No arrests have been made.
Hash oil, also known as honey oil, is derived from marijuana. The hash or honey is concentrated THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. Hash oil is manufactured by using highly flammable materials, such as butane, to refine and concentrate the THC, making a product which can contain up to 90 percent THC, according to police.
There has been a dramatic increase in the number of marijuana butane hash oil lab explosions in Oregon in recent years, according to police.
The Bend Fire Department, the Oregon State Police arson and explosives unit, the Central Oregon Drug Enforcement Team, the Department of Human Services Child Welfare and the Red Cross are assisting with the investigation.
— Reporter: 541-617-7820, email@example.com
Editor’s note: This article has been corrected. The original version reported the incorrect day of the incident. The Bulletin regrets the error.