— From wire reports

Abalone season delayed — Oregon has postponed the 2018 recreational abalone season that was scheduled to open Jan. 1. The decision follows California’s closure of its 2018 abalone season because of concerns over the health of the population. Abalone stocks in California have fallen below target levels as environmental conditions have reduced their food sources. Southern Oregon is on the northern edge of red abalone range and has a relatively small population. The state Fish and Wildlife Commission will review the situation at its March 16 meeting in Salem.

Storage unit shooting — Curry County Sheriff John Ward says a 46-year-old Brookings man was shot twice at a storage unit. Ward says the victim — despite being in pain — drove himself to the parking lot of a sheriff’s office substation in Harbor. He provided a description of the person who fired the shots Thursday night and was flown to a trauma center. Deputies and an Oregon State Trooper went to the storage unit and found evidence that supported the man’s story.

Abuse allegations — A former classroom volunteer charged with sexually abusing a kindergarten student in southern Oregon has been now been accused of having a second victim. Sgt. Julie Denney of the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office says the second child is from the same kindergarten class at Lower Table Rock Elementary School in White City. The volunteer, 72-year-old Jerry Lodge, has pleaded not guilty. He was in the classroom through a program that places seniors in classrooms throughout the Rogue Valley. Participants must pass a criminal background check.

Apparent suicide attempt — A search for a man sought in connection with a Washington state shooting ended outside Portland after authorities say he was found in a stranger’s home and apparently shot himself. A SWAT team and crisis negotiation unit surrounded a home in Fairview after finding the unidentified man alone inside. Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Marc Shrake says police heard one gunshot as they were waiting outside the home and that the man then surrendered. The man was taken to a hospital for treatment.