By Joe Kline

The Bulletin

REDMOND — A man was taken into custody in Redmond on Friday after a woman reported she had been assaulted and shot at, which triggered an evacuation of nearby Obsidian Middle school.

The incident shut down several streets for hours as police from at least three agencies, SWAT-style vehicles and a mobile command center descended on the neighborhood and police communicated with the suspect, who was holed up inside a home where police believe he lived.

Steven Arce, 29, of Redmond, was taken into custody at about 4:30 p.m. He is facing charges of second-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon, coercion and menacing.

The woman, who was not identified, called 911 at about 12:15 p.m. and reported she had been assaulted and fired upon by a man, said Redmond Police Lt. Curtis Chambers. Chambers said the incident took place near Obsidian Middle School or on school grounds.

Witnesses said they saw the man run to a nearby home at 1314 SW Obsidian Ave. Redmond Police contacted the victim and called in a lockout at the middle school before coordinating with the Redmond School District to evacuate the school’s students to nearby M.A. Lynch Elementary School, according to Chambers. The students were released to their parents and none were injured.

At about 4:30 p.m. Arce, who was previously known to law enforcement, left the house on his own after negotiators with the Central Oregon Emergency Response Team — which is made up of law enforcement agencies from the tri-county area — convinced him to leave, Chambers said. He was taken into custody at that time.

The victim was taken to St. Charles Redmond. Police declined to release her name, the extent of her injuries or their cause.

Police obtained a search warrant for Arce’s house and were still investigating Friday evening.

Rainier Butler, spokesman for Redmond School District, said students who left belongings at the middle school will be able to return on Monday to retrieve them.

— Reporter: 541-382-1811,