Compiled by Don Hoiness from archived copies of The Bulletin at Deschutes County Historical Society


For the week ending May 28, 1916

James J. Hill died on Monday

ST. PAUL, Minn. — James J. Hill, 78, railroad builder who probably more than any other one man has aided in the upbuilding of the great Northwest, died here today following an illness by intestinal catarrh of several years’ standing, but only of recent severity.

The “empire builder” and financier — his wealth is rated in the hundreds of millions — became gravely ill only several days ago and operations of Friday and Saturday failed to check the infection which had resulted. Mr. Hill gradually lost strength, losing consciousness late last night, and remaining in a state of coma until life passed this morning.

All the members of Mr. Hill’s immediate family, with the exception of Mrs. W. Beard, of New York, a daughter were at the bedside when the end came.

Louis W. Hill, son of the railroad builder and general manager of his properties and business interests, was visibly affected upon leaving the Hill residence with Rev. Thomas J, Gibbons, vicar-general of the St. Paul arch-diocese, who was with Mr. Hill at the end. He will probably remain as the head of the various Hill interests, becoming executor of the vast estate.

Governor J.A.A. Burnquist ordered all flags at half mast on the Capitol and other state buildings in honor of Mr. Hill. The governor then issued a statement, saying:

“In the passing of James J. Hill the greatest constructive genius of the Northwest is gone. He was acknowledged as its foremost railroad builder and business man.

“He was ever greatly interested in agriculture, art and education. The loss which his city, state and Nation has sustained through his death cannot be measured.”

Archbishop John Ireland, commenting on Mr. Hill’s death, said:

“A great man has gone from earthly life. Not only a man of rarest talent of mind, a genius such as is seldom to be seen amid the moving scenes of humanity, but also one who has put his wondrous talent to the service of fellow men, whose whole career was marked with strict integrity and highest sense of honor.”

James J. Hill honored

Out of respect to the memory of the late James J. Hill all places of business in Bend were closed from 11:45 to 1 o’clock today following a proclamation by Mayor Eastes suggesting that this be done. Messages of sympathy have been sent to Mr. Hill’s son Louis W. Hill by the Commercial Club and City Recorder Ellis, on behalf of the City of Bend.


For the week ending May 28, 1941

Giant British warship Hood sunk in North Atlantic flight

Great Britain’s navy, striking at German warships raiding the North Atlantic, suffered its greatest loss of the war today when an “unlucky hit” in a magazine destroyed the 42,100-ton battlecruiser H.M.S. Hood, biggest warcraft in the world.

The Hood blew up and sank with most of her complement of 1,341 men off Greenland, but the crack new German battleship Bismarck suffered damage and the British warships are pursuing the German squadron. The $28,000,000 Hood had a speed of 32 knots and under command of Vice-Admiral L. E. Holland had led a British squadron into the North Atlantic to intercept the German warships.

They attacked the nazi raiders between Greenland and Iceland.

Whether the nazis turned out to be stronger than expected (the Bismarck’s guns are about as heavy as those of the Hood) was not known, but the admiralty described the magazine hit that sank the Hood as “unlucky.”

They were both armed with eight 15-inch guns in addition to many smaller guns and the Bismarck carried four catapult airplanes.

The Hood, although 7,100 tons heavier than the Bismarck, was built in 1921 and lacked some of the latest improvements, including increased firepower, that the German ship had when completed in 1939.

British sink German Battleship Bismarck

British aerial torpedoes and naval shells sank the 35,000 ton pride of the nazi navy, Bismarck, today after a 72-hour hunt in which at least half of Britain’s battleship force was turned loose, seeking vengeance upon the dreadnaught which sank the great warship Hood.

Details of the three-day sea drama which started in the blizzard-swept Denmark straits between Greenland and Iceland last Friday night and ended at 11.a.m. this morning 400 miles or so off Brest, were made public by the admiralty and Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

The coup de grace was delivered upon the Bismarck by the 9,975 ton cruise Dorsetshire this morning, which was ordered to close in and sink the nazi battleship with torpedoes after she had been crippled and virtually put out of action by heavy ships of the royal navy and devastating aerial torpedo attacks.

An American two-motored Consolidated-Catalina flying boat spotted the Bismarck about 550 miles off Land’s End, westernmost projectory of Britain.

Soon thereafter torpedo planes of the Ark Royal roared in for an attack and many others followed.


For the week ending May 28, 1966

He picked right spot for wife to have baby

Tom Rubio sped toward the hospital Thursday honking his horn at every intersection. Finally his expectant wife, Ercella, said, “the baby’s coming.” Rubio slammed on the brakes. The car stopped in front of a bottling company plant. Rubio saw people standing around the plant’s parking lot.

“Help me! My wife’s having a baby! Rubio shouted.

“Well you’ve come to the right place,” a man said. By then the birth of Tom Rubio IV had begun.

“I looked up and my car was surrounded by pregnant women,” Rubio said.

“Now where did you all come from?” asked Rubio.

Mrs. Evelyn Wormser, a registered nurse, took over from Rubio. She explained to Rubio that she was getting ready to conduct a weekly class in “preparation for childbirth” sponsored by the Association of Parent Education at the plant’s auditorium. Mrs. Wormer works in obstetrics but had never delivered a child in the front seat of a car before. She said she was glad the Rubios decided to stop at that particular moment and ask for help.

“It was rather a good place to have it wasn’t it?” she said.

Mrs Rubio and Tom Rubio IV, who weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces, are doing fine today at the hospital. The color film of birth Mrs. Wormser planned to show her class may turn out to be boring when the group meets again.

New supermarket opening set for late next month

Opening of the new Three Boys Store on Newport Avenue is scheduled for the latter part of June, according to R. N. Anderson, manager. The store will be the first supermarket in the west side of town. “I think this will mean greater convenience for west-side residents,” Anderson said. “We plan to give them excellent service.”

Anderson is currently manager of the Piggly Wiggly Market on Franklin Avenue. When he assumes his new position, management of the old store will be taken over by Larry Thompson, now assistant manager. Anderson and his wife Frances live with their three sons on E. 10th street. The new manager is a graduate of Bend High School and has resided here since 1929.

Note to readers: The new supermarket is now Newport Market, and Rolie Anderson went on to be the manager of the Des Chutes Historical Museum after retirement from many years of managing supermarkets, including his own Rolies Market on Franklin.


For the week ending May 28, 1991

Kin won’t storm desert cemeteries

The colorful flowers, hushed conversations and fresh-cut grass still are the sights, sounds and smells of Memorial Day. But Paul Reynolds remembers a holiday much different from the one celebrated today. Reynolds, owner of the Niswonger-Reynolds Funeral Home and Greenwood Cemetery remembers years when Memorial Day began with bumper-to-bumper traffic at the entrances to Greenwood and Pilot Butte cemeteries near Bend.

Families brought picnic lunches as well as flags and flowers, he said, and lingered by grave sites for hours. There will be no traffic jams at Central Oregon cemeteries today. And many who do come to pay their respects will stay only a few minutes — a brief at the end of a hectic three-day weekend. While lawnmowers buzzed in the distance one afternoon last week, Reynolds strolled through the headstones at the Greenwood and reflected on the changes in the day Americans set aside to honor those who died for their nation.

“Memorial Day used to be an event in itself,” Reynolds said. “People came out here and stayed all day. It’s just not like that anymore.” Reynolds, who began mowing cemetery lawns as a teenager, believes Memorial Day interest has waned for a variety of reasons, the most significant being the shifting of the holiday from May 30 to the last Monday in May.

“When it was one day it was a social occasion,” he said. “Now many people don’t think visiting the cemetery is the best way to spend their three-day weekend. There are other factors, too, such as a rising rate of cremations and today’s mobile society, which leaves many people far from the graves of their loved ones.

“In the old days you were born in Bend, you lived in Bend and you died in Bend,” Reynolds said. “Everybody used to be right here. It’s not like that anymore.”

Cremation now is chosen about one in every three deaths in Central Oregon. More cremations mean fewer people are being buried — and honored on Memorial Day — in cemeteries.

“No day is more important to us,” Reynolds said as he watched a volunteer maintenance worker, Julie Berry, clip grass away from headstones while her 10-month-old daughter, Julianne, enjoyed the sunshine. Reynolds is hoping that a few more people visit the dressed-up Greenwood Cemetery this year. He anticipates a renewed interest in Memorial Day due to the surge in patriotism from the war with Iraq.

“Our military veterans are very much on the people’s minds this year,” he said. “I would hope we would have a few more people out in the cemetery to honor them.”