Compiled by Don Hoiness from archived copies of The Bulletin at Deschutes County Historical Society


For the week ending Jan. 23, 1916

Work progresses at both mills

Although somewhat delayed and interfered with by the extremely cold weather and unusual amount of snow for the past two weeks, operations at the Brooks-Scanlon and Shevlin-Hixon saw mills have proceeded, as large crews as possible worked on the various features of construction yet remaining to be completed.

At both plants a few men have been laid off, as much on account of non-arrival of material as anything else. As soon as the weather gets back to normal they will be put back to work. The delay, however, will make necessary putting off for a few weeks the opening of the two mills beyond the dates formerly set. The present expectation is that the Shevlin mill will begin to saw about March 1 and the Brooks mill a few weeks later.

Work on the planer is suspended waiting the arrival of joists. Machinery is coming in, one carload of structural iron having arrived yesterday along with two carloads of saw mill machinery.

The power house is done except for putting in a few valves. The dry kilns are also completed. Non-delivery of material is causing delays here as on the Brooks plant, work on the dry shed roof is stopped waiting for rafters to come in.

The stacker is also waiting for posts. The unstacker is finished. The water tower is finished.

The first logs were dumped into the river recently and 31 train loads have now been brought in. For the time being this work is being delayed because of the ice in the log pond.

To provide for its employees the company has just built a boarding house on the river bank above the railroad bridge.

Check artists are arrested

Frank Taylor and John Stiner have confessed to the forgeries committed in Bend on Dec. 19, when they passed checks amounting to $215 on seven local merchants to which were signed the name of George Millican.

Advices were received from Luttrel, Tennessee by Chief of Police S.E. Roberts last Thursday stating that the two men were arrested by the Sheriff of Union County in Tennessee and that offers had been made by them to refund all money taken and to pay all costs. The offers have been refused and the men will be returned to Crook County by Deputy Sheriff Theodore Aune and County Commissioner J.F. Blanchard of Prineville. A warrant for their arrest was telegraphed to Tennessee to hold the men awaiting the arrival of the Crook County officials.


For the week ending Jan. 23, 1941

Oromite plant opening

Oromite company officials have set Feb. 1, as the date for the beginning of operation in the new plant construction of which is now nearing completion. Two carloads of machinery have already arrived with more to follow, and the building will be ready for installation of this machinery very soon.

The main building of the diatomaceous earth refining plant at Lower Bridge has been completed, and corrugated iron covering is now being applied to the interior.

The new plant replaces one destroyed by fire last spring, but it is much larger. In place of the 36-foot tower which was burned, the cyclone tower just completed at the new mill is 86 feet in height and is 24 feet square. It is built to contain the big cyclone machine used in preparation of the ore. Adjoining the tower on one side is the 24-by-40-foot bag mill building which rises to the height of 50 feet.

These two buildings are all constructed of timber posts, 12-by-12 inches in size, and running the entire length of the buildings. They are bolted together at various levels by timbers ranging in size from 6-by-12 to 12-by-18. All are fastened with ring connectors as well as bolts. Used in the work were 1,000 ring connectors and 1,000 bolts.

The assembly of these timbers was a very highly specialized and technical piece of work. The most difficult problem was to engineer the erection of the timbers. This was accomplished by a large power crane brought from Portland. This crane, however, was only capable of reaching 50 feet, and to increase the lift to reach the higher levels a 40-foot 8-by-8 timber was bolted to the crane. Skilled high climbers were used to place the bolts and fasten the timbers. Pole climbers experienced some thrilling moments as they rode the tall timbers, which swayed from side to side as they were brought into place for fastening.

Of simpler construction is the warehouse adjoining the bag house structure. The big building measures 80-by-80 feet, and is built with full 80-foot span trusses.

Construction of the new mill was begun about November 10.

Swastika flies … for a while

A German flag, flown legally from the German consulate in San Francisco, was ripped from its mooring in a near riot of protest, but before that crowds gathered below in protest over the display of the Nazi emblem. A photo of the scene was taken shortly before the flag was torn down, showing the raiding party of men trying to reach the flag from the fire escape. A huge crowd gathered below, and the American flag was put out by the janitor of the building.


For the week ending Jan. 23, 1966

Warm Springs Indians hosts to Chamber of Commerce visitors — by Phil Brogan

Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation had their welcome mats out Friday when a Bend Chamber of Commerce delegation of 35 came here by bus to hear a development story that has won national attention.

The visitors were dined, entertained with the program of short talks, taken on a tour of the new community center, then guided 11 miles north to the Kahneeta vacation resort.

There was a January chill in the air and vapor rolled from the Olympic-sized pool but the cold did not deter some of the visitors from joining in a mid-winter swim. The air temperature was 38 degrees and low clouds touched ancient hills that crowd close to the Warm Springs River.

About half a dozen of the Bend Chamber of Commerce members stroked their way back and forth across the huge, blue pool, where replicas of three bears stand guard. In the water at one time were Chamber president Lyman C. (Chuck) Johnson, Chamber manager Chuck Austin and Dr. Robert L. Bristol, who on the previous night was named Bend’s top senior citizen of the year. Also in the swim was Bend’s ex-mayor, Paul Reynolds, and his wife, Ann. Ed Manion, Kahneeta manager, was guide in the trip of the Bend group to the resort, which this past year was visited by 180,000 persons. That figure was far above expectations, and has spurred tribal officers to action in rounding out plans for immediate expansion.

The go ahead for construction of a dining hall that will span the clear Warm Springs River near the big pool has been approved and work will start soon. On the planning board, but not yet officially approved, are projects that include a 110 unit lodge on the Warm Springs River about a mile downstream from the pool area. Other developments will include golf courses.

John Storrs, of the architectural firm that designed Salishan on the Oregon Coast, was one of the speakers at the luncheon at Warm Springs. He pictured a development that will provide for a full round of recreation on the reservation.

Presiding at the luncheon program was Vernon Jackson, executive secretary of the tribal council. Chuck Johnson was spokesman for the visitors. Joining the group at the luncheon program were a large number of Bureau of Indian Affairs people attending a conference at the agency. Doyce Waldrip is agency supervisor. One of the featured speakers was Kenneth Smith, head of the agency’s administrative organization. The touring group from Bend viewed a community that has greatly changed in recent years, with new housing projects taking shape and new buildings standing on flats across which wild horses once raced.

Jackson touched on resources of the agency, especially its timber wealth and its recreation possibilities.


For the week ending Jan. 23, 1991

The emphasis is on survival

Federal workers gathered in Bend last week for the annual West Wide Snow Survey School. The highlight of five days of lectures on topics such as snow sampling methods and water content measuring was an overnight stay at the Swampy Lakes Sno-Park on Century Drive. The snow surveyors skied or trudged through the snow to a bivouac site a quarter mile from the parking lot.

There they set about digging trenches, stretching sheets of plastic over tree limbs and preparing for a night— the first for many of them — in the snow.

“An exercise like this helps them build confidence in themselves so if they have to survive overnight, in the wilderness, they can,” said Jerry Beard, a Soil Conservation Supervisor in Montana.

Stan Fox, Oregon’s supervisor, said survival has been emphasized at the annual school since two SCS workers narrowly survived a night in the snow after their airplane crashed in southwest Idaho.

“Since that incident we have included training in how to build a snow cave and prepare for a night in the snow,” he said.

Lessons from school save lives in the field

Peter Palmer knows just how comforting a snow cave can be on a cold frightening night. Palmer, assistant snow survey supervisor for the U.S. Soil Conservation Service in Idaho, was among three men who survived a helicopter crash and a harrowing night in the snow in 1983. The men were flying through a snow storm to a remote snow measurement site in the Pioneer Mountains near Sun Valley when their chopper crashed into a hillside.

The crash occurred about 30 miles from the nearest road. There was about 15 feet of snow on the ground. The two SCS crewmen helped the pilot from the wreck, salvaged a seat and other equipment from the chopper and built a snow cave. “That night we had a severe winter storm,” Palmer recalled. “It dumped about a foot of snow, there were winds near 30 mph and the temperature was about zero.

“But we were just fine in the snow cave.” Rescuers found the men early the next day. Palmer had attended the West Wide Snow Survey School and built a snow shelter the year before the accident. He said the experience helped save his life. “We didn’t panic and we used what we had learned at the school,” he said. “Without all the training, we probably would have froze to death.”