Compiled by Don Hoiness from archived copies of The Bulletin at Des Chutes County Historical Society.


For the week ending

July 18, 1915

Bend hospital to open Aug. 1

The new Bend hospital, under the direction of Doctors U.C. Coe and B. Ferrell, will be opened about Aug. 1 and when the residence formerly occupied by W.E. Guerin is remodeled, the institution will have a capacity of 30 patients.

The interior of the structure has been reconstructed and will be modern and up-to-date in every particular in order to give the best possible service to patrons. It will have 12 rooms, of which six will be private rooms, two wards, stock rooms, operating room, dining room, kitchen and spacious sun room which will provide for sunshine and serve as a rest room for convalescents.

Overlooking the river with the mountains as a vista, the hospital is ideally situated and the broad porch facing the west will offer pleasant views for those able to enjoy outdoor air.

Within the next few months the building will be heated with hot and cold water and Doctors Coe and Ferrell now contemplate the erection of a heating plant to supply this comfort.

In order to care for injured employees of The Shevlin-Hixon Company, a contract has been signed by this company under the terms of which all injuries to men in its employ demanding hospital attention will be accommodated in the new institution. Speedy means of transporting men from the mill and camps where injuries occur to the hospital will be taken to insure immediate treatment. First aid methods in the various camps will be carried on efficiently under instructions to facilitate operations and care upon the arrival of injured ones at the hospital.

The operating room will be modern in every detail to afford patrons the best attention through scientific means. It will be finished in white enameled wood work and the floor will be cemented with every measure taken to insure sanitation and cleanliness during operations.

Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Donavan, graduates of the Bellevue Hospital in New York, and recently of Iowa, will arrive soon to assist Doctors Coe and Ferrell as trained nurses, having served in the profession for several years.

“From time to time as conditions warrant, we expect to make additions and such remodeling as will render our work most effective,” said Doctor Coe. “In order to give the best possible service and offer every convenience and comfort to patients, the interior will soon be completed and much of the furniture has already arrived for installation.”

Oregon salaries (editorial)

Every now and then, and especially when legislative sessions approach and “economy” is a desirable password, we hear a great deal of too many salaries and too high salaries being paid Oregon officials. It is, in fact, quite the usual thing to maintain that men in public office do not earn their pay.

As a matter of fact, we are of the opinion that, generally speaking, the man in public life comes nearer earning what he gets than the ordinary run of salary receiving individuals. Especially so when one considers that sooner or later the office holder is turned out; he is not advancing as is the man who works well for a corporation, nor is he accumulating or building up property, as do those who work for themselves.

Especially is the Oregon official meagerly paid. Throughout, the salaries given the higher state officers are not commensurate with their responsibilities. Certainly they average less than men doing similarly important work in the business world.


For the week ending

July 18, 1940

Lightning sets forests aflame — parachutists used to stop small fires

Hundreds of forest fires, most of them started by dry lightning, dotted the Pacific coast and western states today from Alaska to the Mexican border in the most severe outbreak of the 1940 season.

The U.S. forest service sent its new “smoke jumper” units into action where an estimated 700 fires were started by lightning. Specially trained and equipped parachutists were dropped from airplanes to kill small spot fires.

Queen and princess to see world fair

Miss Marjorie Skjersaa, Bend girl who ruled over Bend’s 1940 stampede-pageant as queen, and her princess royal, Miss Jimmie Joyce, are to leave for San Francisco tomorrow to attend the world’s fair as guests of the Bend Stampede and Water Pageant association. Accompanying the queen and princess will be Mrs M.B. McKenney, who served as chaperon for the royal court during the Fourth of July celebration.

Miss Skjersaa, I.W.A candidate, was the winner of the queen contest, with 932,000 votes. Miss Joyce, Twenty-Thirty candidate, was runner-up. She had 873,500 votes. Marjorie Morris was in third place, with 570,000.

Third-term secret to be told tonight

President Roosevelt announced today that Senate Majority Leader Alben W. Barkley will make a statement in his behalf on the third term issue to the democratic national convention tonight.

Without revealing the exact scope of the pronouncement, Roosevelt said that Barkley’s statement should answer pertinent questions as to whether or not he will seek re-election.

F.R. wants no third term

Jubilant new dealers junked the scheduled program of the democratic national convention today in order to renominate President Roosevelt for a third term tonight.

The “ayes” appear to have it.

President’s Roosevelt’s close-held secret is out. He does not want to be renominated nor to be president again.

Everyone here believes he will accede to a third term draft, possibly within 24 hours.


For the week ending

July 18, 1965

Dr. Vandevert marks 50 years as practicing Bend physician, by Phil F. Brogan

This is a day of old memories for a Bend resident, John Clinton Vandevert.

It marks the completion of his 50th year as a practicing physician in Bend. The day will be celebrated on Thursday with a reunion of friends, relatives and patients at his home, at 930 Broadway. An open house will be held through the afternoon.

Early arrivals for the anniversary and reunion were two brothers who are also physicians — Dr. George V. Vandevert, Oakland, California, and Dr. Arthur Vandevert, Sellersburg, Indiana.

Many old timers will be present, and there will be exchanges of recollections of pre-mill days after two great railroad systems built lines up the Deschutes gorge to tap Bend in 1911.

But Dr. J.C. Vandevert’s memories go far beyond those pioneer days. A native of Holbrook, Arizona, where he was born Jan. 13, 1888, Dr. Vandevert came to Prineville as a boy in 1891, with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Vandevert, then moved up the Deschutes in 1892 to establish the “Old Homestead.” There, a brother of the physician, Claude Vandevert still lives.

Actually Dr. Vandevert’s family story goes far beyond the 1891-92 date. His grandmother, Grace Clark Vandevert, was a survivor of the Clark massacre of 1851, who camped at Bend’s present Pioneer Park, en route to Lane County.

In 1900, Dr. Vandevert’s father, Bill Vandevert, was on hand to greet the founder of Bend, A.M. Drake, whose covered wagon was parked on the east bank of the Deschutes.

Dr. Vandevert came to Bend to practice following his graduation from the University of Oregon Medical School in 1914. He opened his office in Bend on July 15, 1915, after completing his intern work at St. Vincent’s in Portland.

There were two other physicians, Dr. U.C. Coe, first mayor of Bend, and Dr. Barney Ferrell, in the local field when Dr. Vandevert opened his office in the old Sather building.

Even before opening his office here, Dr. Vandevert, while still an intern, was called on to make a night gallop from the “Old Homestead” to the Albert Reese ranch on Paulina Creek. There he delivered his first baby, Albert Reese, Jr.

Memories? Dr. Vandevert has many of them. Once, he recalls, Father Mike Sheehan of the local Catholic Church called on him to make a run in a Model “T” Ford to the High Desert, where it was feared smallpox had broken out.

At the ranch, Dr. Vandevert found a man stricken with spotted fever. He improvised a remedy, in that era when serums were just being tested. The man got well.

Dr. Vandevert’s service as a doctor does not go back to the horse and buggy days. He bought a Model “T” Ford from the late J.L. Van Huffel in 1915, and with that car covered much of the Deschutes country.

In 1916, just prior to the outbreak of the “black flu” in Bend, Dr. Vandevert established here the Bend Surgical Hospital, about two years before the St. Charles Hospital was founded.

Three times he tried to enlist for service in World War I, but with the influenza raging in the area, he was placed on the deferred list.


For the week ending

July 18, 1990

Crash survivor helps others at wrecks

The newspaper clippings telling of Kathy Baker’s nearly fatal accident four years ago are wrinkled and yellowed with age, but she hasn’t forgotten the efforts that were made that day to save her life.

Today, Baker volunteers as part of the Jefferson County Emergency Medical Services team, rushing out to accidents and working to help others survive traumatic events as she did.

It was on New Year’s Eve, the close of 1985, that Baker’s accident happened. Baker and a couple of friends had been to Bend to shop and to see a movie at the mall.

The details of what happened after the group left Bend to head back to Madras are blurry for Baker, but she remembers that a freezing rain was falling.

As they headed toward the bottom of Juniper Butte her car slid into the southbound lane and struck the side of an oncoming car.

When the ambulance arrived the car was on its side. “I was pinned underneath,” Baker said. “They assumed I was dead just from looking at me.”

Baker’s injuries were numerous and severe: Her head was battered; part of her back and eights of her ribs were broken; her lungs were punctured and collapsed; her spleen was ruptured and her liver cut.

“They thought I would be blind and paralyzed from the waist down,” Baker said. “It took me a good three years to recuperate, and I still feel the effects sometimes.”

While the recovery was arduous and physical therapy painful, Baker says that all along she felt something else “kind of eating at me.”

The daughter of a police officer, Baker had grown up listening to reports of accidents on a police scanner. After the accident, though, hearing the dispatcher relate the details of car wrecks made her feel anxious and worried.

Finally, in answer to the nagging feeling that haunted her, she went down to the Jefferson County ambulance station and asked how she could become a volunteer. That was last fall.

Since then, Baker has taken first-aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation courses, and she plans to take an emergency medical technician’s course as well.

When she gets a call to go out with the ambulance now, she doesn’t think about her own accident, although sometimes she relives parts of it later.

“Just knowing that I can help … ,” she said. “Even if it is a fatality, I can know that I tried to help, that I did what I could.”

Baker recently graduated from a corrections officer training program, and there’s a possibility she may move to the Willamette Valley for a job. But even if she moves, Baker won’t give up her volunteer work.

“Sometimes it still seems like the wreck was just yesterday,” she said. “I’d like to volunteer wherever I go.”