In 1917, L.B. Misener Grocery occupied the Boyd Building on the northeast corner of Greenwood Avenue and Bond Street. The building, at right in the above photo, would later become Hotel Wright.
This area of town was known as the red-light district. It was a rough part of town. To the left is where Central School (1906-20) was located, which served students from first to 12th grade. The year this picture was taken the first stand-alone high school was built.
Pilot Butte is to the east in the background. The train overpass in the middle of the photo was the Oregon Truck Line.
In the 1940s, not much had been built outside the downtown area. The white building, which is now a marijuana retailer, marks Eighth Street. This area was considered the edge of town.
— Bulletin staff report
Source: Deschutes Historical Museum