Do you have a point you’d like to make or an issue you feel strongly about? Submit a letter to the editor.

Pave Bend’s dirt roads

Forcing the handful of remaining city residents on unpaved roads to pick up the cost of paving? I think you got this one wrong.

For 80 years, homeowners on the parcel my wife and I own have paid property taxes. Collectively, we’ve paid for an incremental piece of virtually all city infrastructure, including roads. Why should the beneficiaries of our tax payments (the great majority of Bend residents on paved roads) be exempt from paying an incremental piece of our road? And a tight budget is no excuse for this inequitable treatment.

A better idea? If the city has budget issues (they do), fix them. Regarding unpaved roads, the city should put together a plan to finish the job. Part of the plan should include leveraging other projects when possible to minimize cost. For example, NW 14th Street is currently being rebuilt, and as part of the Central Westside Plan, improvements are being planned for NW 15th Street.

Any remaining unpaved roads touching either of these projects (Commerce, Elgin, parts of 15th) should be included in the projects.

Eric Hansen

Bend

Time for medicine

I totally agree with Dr. Tim Hanlon’s column “What happened to the profession of medicine?”

When I started as a nurse practitioner in 1994, I had 30-60 minutes with each patient. There’s just something uncomfortable and intimidating about sitting on an exam table in a paper gown, so we talked first, before undressing for an exam. I jotted notes and actually had time to look at my patient – difficult now that we’re glued to our computer screen, checking off symptoms, and filling in insurance/quality control requirements. I had time to ask her about her life, and often learned more about how to help with today’s problem.

Over the years, I began to have less time with each patient, filled out more paperwork and became totally frustrated with data entry medicine.

After moving back to Bend, I chose to work with a doctor I worked with before, Dr. Peter Palacio. As a gynecologist, he was just as frustrated with the medical model that had progressively depersonalized patient care, so he developed a “new” model — which is reminiscent of the way we used to practice — more time with each patient, no computer in the room, shared decision making. What a concept! Will we make it in today’s hectic, corporate medical system? I don’t know, but what I do know is that it’s a joy to practice medicine this way again, and our patients seem pretty happy as well! Go for it, Dr. Hanlon — maybe we’ll actually make a difference!

Jan Bowers

Bend

No more gun laws

In response to Mike Schlabach’s letter “A candidate question,” while I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment, I do not believe in sanctuary from our laws. So I do not believe we should have any locations where our laws can be broken. Instead, we need enforcement of our laws.

And I also believe in the freedom of owning a gun or not owning a gun. Our land has far too many laws that need enforcement as it is. We don’t need more. What we don’t need are more additional laws that don’t end up being enforced. As it is, our laws are often being laughed at. And that produces lawlessness.

Terry Whitted

Crooked River Ranch

Protect gun rights

I am writing in response to the letter posted by Bill Cunningham and Sarah Brosier decrying the lack of gun law perspective.

The writers claim it is merely a “tiny fraction” of gun owners who are resisting additional laws. That is a patently false assertion. Numbers from a Bloomberg news article claim that 69 percent of gun owners support background checks for all purchases. Simple math would show the remaining 31 percent do not support that move. Hardly a “tiny fraction.”

Other sources show that most gun owners would like to see the present laws enforced more fully.

Too many times, as in Parkland and many other cases, the ball is dropped by the authorities, with predictable results.

Like most anti-gunners, the two writers present themselves as “responsible gun owners” and then proceed to cherry pick their facts.

I am writing this from Nevada, where my career forces me to live. But I have deep roots in Oregon and will retire there in a few years. Please don’t believe the anti-gunner propaganda. Preserve our constitutional rights for us and our children.

Jon Lewis

Ruth, Nevada

20322226