Firefighters with the Sisters-Camp Sherman Rural Fire Protection District battled two house fires over the weekend.

The first was reported shortly after 1 p.m. Saturday on North Cedar Street. Passersby spotted the exterior wall of a duplex burning, helped evacuate the residents, and attempted to fight the fire while firefighters responded. Arriving firefighters used a chainsaw to remove a portion of the siding and doused the fire, limiting damages to around $2,500.

The fire appears to have been caused by ashes which were left improperly stored on a wood deck.

The second fire was reported at 3:37 a.m. Sunday in the Tollgate neighborhood north of Sisters. The renters of a home on Lariat road smelled smoke and saw a glowing coming from their ceiling.

Firefighters found flames both inside and outside the house near the chimney when they arrived.

The fire is believed to have originated with the wood stove, which was in use at the time of the fire.

18988967