Power surge may have caused Bend house fire

A house fire on Bend’s southeast side Tuesday evening was apparently triggered by a power surge when lightning struck a nearby transformer, according to the Bend Fire Department.

The fire, in the 21000 block of Chilliwack Way, was reported at 7:08 p.m. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from vents in the roof, and a room and its contents inside on fire. A power company employee who came to the scene to turn off electricity discovered the transformer feeding the house had been struck by lightning.

Damages were estimated at $40,000.

The American Red Cross is providing two adult residents of the home with recovery information, and information about disaster mental health and disaster health services.