The First United Methodist Church in downtown Bend features some of the most interesting decorative architecture in Central Oregon: more than a dozen stained glass windows crafted by the famed Povey Bros. art glass studio in Portland in 1922. We chronicled the history of the windows here.
The windows, which line three sides of church’s sanctuary, feature images from the Old and New Testaments and memorials to some of Bend’s early prominent citizens. Not to mention they are enchantingly beautiful.
But for decades, their beauty was obscured by hazy, plastic protective coverings, and the windows had started to fall into disrepair. But after two weeks of work by professional glass workers from Associated Crafts of Gilbert, Ariz., the antique windows have been restored and new, clear protective coverings installed, allowing the windows to be seen clearly from the outside of the church for the first time in years.
— Julie Johnson