Candles blamed for fire at duplex


Published Nov 13, 2012 at 04:00AM / Updated Nov 19, 2013 at 12:31AM

MILWAUKIE — Firefighters in Milwaukie are blaming the careless use of candles for a fire in a duplex where the power had been shut off because residents were having trouble with their bills.

The Clackamas Fire department was called out Friday, and firefighters were greeted by heavy, black smoke. Crews controlled the fire in half an hour.

Investigators said Monday they’d determined that the candles touched off the fire, although it’s not clear exactly how. There were several going in the home.

Nobody was hurt, but four people were displaced. Damage was estimated at $80,000. Firefighters say they recommend using battery-operated flameless candles.