• Central Oregonians win state event: Bend’s Max King and Kimber Mattox were the open men’s and women’s winners Saturday at the USA Track & Field Oregon XC Championships, staged at Portland’s Pier Park.
King won the men’s race in 24 minutes, 44 seconds, which was 49 seconds faster than runner-up Jordan Welling, of Portland. Mattox, a former state prep cross-country champion out of Bend High School, captured victory in the women’s field in 21:16, six seconds better than Kristen Rohde, of Portland. Bend resident Kari Strang was 38th in 25:59.
Complete results are available at oregon.usatf.org.
• Youth runners perform well at state meet: A number of Central Oregon youths competed Saturday in the USA Track & Field State Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships, staged at Pier Park in Portland, and a number of them finished high in the standings. Running for the Central Oregon Running Klub, Kelsey Washenberger won the midget girls division, for girls born in the years 2000 and 2001. Washenberger covered the 3-kilometer course in 11 minutes, 47.18 seconds, narrowly defeating Bowerman AC’s Greta Anderson (11:48.47).
Two other CORK runners, Sarah Reeves and Thomas Schoderbek, finished as the runners-up in their respective divisions. Reeves placed second, just in front of teammate Olivia Brooks, in the youth girls race (birth years 1998 and 1999), and Schoderbek was second among youth boys (birth years 1998 and 1999). CORK’s Jack Strang also posted a top-three finish by taking third place in the bantam boys division (birth years 2002 and 2003).
Additionally, in the sub-bantam boys, bantam boys, midget boys, youth boys, midget girls and youth girls divisions, CORK teams finished in the top three in the standings and advanced to the regional meet, scheduled for this Saturday in Spokane, Wash. The top 35 individuals in each race also qualified.
For results of Central Oregon finishers at the association meet, see Community Sports Scoreboard, D5. For complete results from the meet, go to oregon.usatf.org.
• Fundraiser on tap: The Mt. Bachelor Ski for Schools fundraising program is back for the 2012-13 winter sports season.
The program raises funds for the education foundations for Bend-La Pine and Redmond schools. Through Dec. 2, snow-sports enthusiasts may purchase one-day lift passes to Mt. Bachelor ski area for $25. Those passes may be redeemed at the ski area on any date from Nov. 26 through Nov. 29, and Dec. 3 through Dec. 6. Quantities are limited, and passes will not be available for sale at Mt. Bachelor ticket windows.
The passes are available at a number of retailers in Bend, Sunriver and Redmond. For a list of those retailers, go to mtbachelor.com. More information is also available at bendlapineschoolsfoundation.org or by calling 541-355-5660.
• Bend Swim Club members to be honored: Twenty-two members of the Bend Swim Club are scheduled to be recognized by Oregon Swimming this Sunday in Canby. These swimmers posted marks that ranked in the top five in events in their respective age groups among Oregon and southwest Washington swimmers during the 2011-2012 short-course yards and long-course meters seasons.
Emma Brady and Brandon Deckard posted the most top-five marks among BSC swimmers. Brady, 10, ranked in the top five in the 100 freestyle, 200 free, 50 breaststroke, 100 butterfly, 100 individual medley and 200 IM for short-course yards. In long-course meters, she made the list in the 100 free, 200 free, 50 breast, 100 breast, 100 fly and 200 IM.
Deckard, 16, made the rankings in the 500 free, 100 backstroke, 200 back, 100 breast, 200 breast, 200 fly, 200 IM and 400 IM for short-course yards. He also ranked among the top five in the 400 free, 100 backe, 200 back, 200 fly, 200 IM and 400 IM in long-course meters.
For a complete list of the BSC swimmers and their events, see Community Sports Scoreboard, D5.
• New Redmond club: A new club program in Redmond, Juniper Volleyball Club, is offering playing opportunities for girls ages 8 to 16.
The club will focus on fundamentals, motor skills, self-discipline and work ethic. Club co-directors are Chamese Christianson and Amy Remick.
A player/parent and registration meeting for the 2012-13 season has been scheduled for Wednesday, starting at 7 p.m. in the commons area at Ridgeview High School in Redmond. For more information about Juniper Volleyball Club, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
—Bulletin staff reports