Firefighters dash to La Pine home

Published Mar 27, 2013 at 05:00AM

Ashes deposited in a plastic garbage can started a fire Tuesday that spread to a La Pine home before firefighters arrived and quickly extinguished the blaze, according to the La Pine Rural Fire Protection District.

Fifteen firefighters, two engines and a tender arrived around 11:30 a.m. at the single-story home on the 5000 block of Blue Eagle Road.

Neighbors had called Deschutes County 911 to report smoke and flames at the back of the home. Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire, according to the fire district.

Neighbors helping the homeowner maintain the property deposited ashes from an open burn into the garbage can, which ignited other material inside, creating a fire that melted the can and caused the dry grass around it to catch fire. That fire burned up to the house and set it ablaze, according to the fire district.

Losses are still being tallied.

The fire protection district reminds La Pine residents that open burning requires a burn permit, and to never dispose of ashes in a plastic container.

— Bulletin staff report

Salem

comments powered by Disqus