Seattle begins camp with questions at quarterback

Tim Booth / The Associated Press /


Published Jul 24, 2012 at 05:00AM / Updated Nov 19, 2013 at 12:31AM

RENTON, Wash. — When Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks broke from minicamp in mid-June, all the focus heading into training camp was on a three-way competition for starting quarterback.

While figuring out that key position is still a major concern, it’s no longer the biggest story as the Seahawks prepare to start training camp Saturday.

Marshawn Lynch’s arrest for driving under the influence in California and the subsequent debate on whether he faces suspension from the league, has become the No. 1 topic surrounding the Seahawks. Not far behind is the decision to release wide receiver Mike Williams two weeks before the start of camp.

For being stuck far away from the football epicenter, the Seahawks are getting their share of attention lately — not all of it good.

What type of discipline Lynch might face from the league has become the top concern for the Seahawks after a breakout 2011 season. Lynch was one of the top running backs in the league during the second half of the schedule. His reward was a $31 million, four-year contract and affirmation that Lynch is the current face of the franchise.

Much of that luster faded when he was arrested in Oakland in the early morning hours of July 14. Lynch has been charged by the district attorney in Alameda County, Calif., and faces an initial court date of Aug. 14.

Lynch had two previous run-ins while he played in Buffalo, the last resulting in a three-game suspension in 2009. He’s been clean of problems since, and it’s unknown if the latest incident will get lumped in with previous transgressions and result in another suspension.

While the Seahawks wait to get answers on Lynch, they have a number of critical questions to answer on the field before the opener Sept. 9 at Arizona None is bigger than deciding who the starting quarterback will be.

Seattle will enter training camp with Matt Flynn, Tarvaris Jackson and Russell Wilson splitting reps, Jackson getting the first snaps with the No. 1 offense, as was the case during offseason workouts and minicamp. But all three will get equal time — at least early in camp — with the No. 1 unit. All Carroll has said about the timeline for the competition is it’ll likely go into the start of exhibition games, which begin Aug. 11 at home against Tennessee.

“Tarvaris has an advantage. He’s been with (offensive coordinator) Darrell (Bevell) for a long time,” Carroll said. “So those guys have caught up quickly and it’ll be really important to see how they come back when we’re top speed and going, and see how it all fits together. So I’m just as anxious to see as you guys.”

Each quarterback brings his own strengths to the competition. Jackson is the incumbent and won over the locker room last year by playing through a painful pectoral injury, yet helping Seattle go 5-3 in the second half of the season. Flynn flashed in his few opportunities playing behind Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay and was one of the hottest free agent commodities, getting a three-year, $26 million deal.

Wilson was a star in college with all the skills NFL coaches want, just lacking height at 5-foot-11.

“I don’t think we look at it like we’re going against each other. We’re trying to help each other out,” Flynn said. “If they make a good throw, I’m the first one there telling them good job and whatever. It’s not like there’s any bad blood coming out here. It’s not like that. Everyone’s trying to compete. Everyone’s trying to get better and everyone’s trying to make the team better. I think that’s really the overall goal.”

Whoever wins the QB competition will be throwing to a mostly unproven receiving corps. Sidney Rice will get his first extensive work since having offseason surgery on both shoulders and is the clear No. 1 receiver if he can stay healthy.

Clemons, Seahawks agree to new deal

SEATTLE — Defensive end Chris Clemons and the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to terms on a multiyear deal that will keep Clemons under contract beyond the 2012 season.

Clemons’ agent, Donal Henderson, confirmed the agreement in a text message to The Associated Press on Monday night, but didn’t release any terms. The team had no announcement of Clemons’ deal.

Clemons has been Seattle’s top pass rusher the past two seasons, recording 11 sacks in both 2010 and 2011. But he was entering the final year of his contract and showed his displeasure with the situation by not participating in some offseason team activities and not attending Seattle’s mandatory minicamp in mid-June.

— The Associated Press