Judge orders birds poisoned, faces backlash in 1913

Published May 26, 2013 at 05:00AM

Compiled by Don Hoiness from archived copies of The Bulletin at the Des Chutes Historical Museum.


For the week ending

May 25, 1913

Governor raids The Dalles

Governor West has descended upon The Dalles in a clean-up campaign and as a result of the sudden activity of a group of local deputies, a local resort was raided and 32 women and a number of “guests” arrested. When Sheriff Chrisman refused to place the prisoners in jail, the Governor took a hand in the matter, appearing on the scene with 11 state militiamen and practically compelling Chrisman to act.

Chrisman stated that his tardiness was because the special deputies showed no authority and he could not imprison simply on their bare word. The inmates of the institutions will be freed, it is said, and only the principals proceeded against. In some quarters there is considerable indignation against the Governor’s alleged unwarranted interference in a local matter. It is stated that the town is and has been in an excellently clean condition.

Judge Springer orders janitor to poison birds

County Judge Springer has ordered Henry Clow, custodian of the courthouse and grounds, to put out poison for the song-birds that live about the courthouse. As there is a penalty from $5 to $100 for killing or taking or having in possession any wild bird except game birds in season and destructive birds, such as English sparrows, hawks, etc., the aforesaid custodian has not yet poisoned any song-birds, as requested by his honor, who has assumed a lordship over the things of the air, not being satisfied with his large and somewhat burdensome domain, Crook County.

Mr. Clow also says the judge intends to order every town in the county to destroy the birds, and that he will make such an order affecting the towns.

It is understood that several persons specially interested in birds are taking action to “get” Judge Springer for his reported poisoning order. The State Game Warden and the Audubon Society have been notified with a view to ascertaining if the issuance of the order is not illegal, just as the action proposed may be shown to be.


For the week ending

May 25, 1938

Lava Bears win state track championship for 2nd year

Champions of all Oregon for the second consecutive year, Bend’s track and field men, coached by Miller Nicholson, were back in school today facing a form of competition, final examinations, which in some instances was expected by the boys to provide more worries than the state meet in Corvallis. Highly-rated Grant, pre-meet favorite of Portland sportswriters, was second and Salem was close behind.

“The boys stood up under competition in great style,” Nicholson mentioned. In practically all events, the Bears’ marks were far ahead of previous marks this year. Willard Nelson set a new state record in the half mile, doing the 880 yard run in 2:00.9.

Ray Dickson, brilliant star of the Lava Bears, ran into hard luck in the hurdles, hitting the sticks in both the lows and highs when he was well out in the lead. In one of the hurdles he lost stride and fell, suffering severe cinder cuts on various parts of his body. If it had not been for this misfortune, Dickson would probably have taken both hurdle events and high point honors.

Francis Schultz, one-man track team from Forest Grove, won the high point trophy. Although not first in either of the hurdles, Dickson won the broad jump.

One of the surprises of Saturday afternoon was the work of Jack Dudrey in the pole vault. Apparently suffering a bit from stage fright at the start, Dudrey twice missed the high bar at the 10 foot mark, then cleared the bar and continued to go over until he had won the state championship at 11 feet, 10 inches. Coach Nicholson is confident that Dudrey would have continued on to a new record if he had been pressed.

The Lava Bears won four first places, a pair of seconds, one third, a fourth and a fifth place. Rea Kleinfeldt won the mile event for the third consecutive year, and Willard Nelson who easily won his half mile event after overcoming a sprint by Borden of Salem, is twice state winner of the 880.

Referring to Kleinfeldt’s fine race, the Oregonian reported: “Kleinfeldt’s chief opposition came from Lodge, a pluck Chemawa Indian lad who runs the mile in 220-style. Three times Lodge dug his spikes deep in the Bell field cinders to sprint and regain the lead. The pace was too telling, however, and he folded mere yards from the tape to take second by the steady Kleinfeldt.”

Indicating the type of competition the Bears faced at Corvallis this season, new records were established in five of the 14 events.


For the week ending

May 25, 1963

Five excited young ladies named to pageant court

Five excited Bend High School senior girls, selected as the honor court for Bend’s 1963 Water Pageant, received the news this morning. They are Ramona Adams, Rochelle Anderson, Anne Brandis, Linda McPhee and Jayne Underhill.

Twelve finalists were entertained Thursday afternoon at a tea at the Pine Tavern. Voting was done at the Chamber of Commerce office, by pageant committee members and their wives.

Announcement of the winners was made by Miss Zola McDougal, dean of girls, in her office at the school. Excitement mounted during a tension-packed wait for late-comers.

Linda McPhee, tallest of the princesses and the most composed when the announcement was made, was the last to arrive, from an early-bird art class. Waiting for a picture to be taken by Bulletin photographer Nate Bull, Anne Brandis told the court members about riding on a Chamber of Commerce float in a pet parade in 1951, a year that there was no pageant. A banner identified the youngsters as future pageant princesses.

After the announcement, there was a flurry of congratulations and primping, and a rush to telephones to call home.

The Water Pageant, with its traditional parades of floats on Mirror Pond, will be the evenings of July 26, 27 and 28. The queen will be named in ceremonies at a coronation ball July 24.

Marble champions

Doug Barackman and Don Lutz proved to be the Bend marble champs as they downed six other school champions for the title Saturday. Runner-ups were Steve Aplin and Bruce May. The four boys will travel to Portland June 29 for the state championships.

My Nickel’s Worth

Editorials are fine, but “Peanuts” is missed. A Bulletin modern with changes meticulous, but still without Peanuts is most ridiculous.

Editorials are fine, crossword puzzles dispensable, but the absence of Peanuts is quite reprehensible.

Sincerely, Mrs. Cal Elshoff


For the week ending

May 25, 1988

The fire detectives

Kevin Crowell was learning that fires leave few footprints.

He was on his knees in the soot, using a magnifying glass to follow a trail marked only by charred brush, white ash and blackened pine needles on the forest floor.

The trouble was the forest floor was covered with charred brush, white ash and blackened pine needles in every direction.

Crowell looked for more subtle signs to trace the trail: bitterbrush branches blackened on only one side, sticks burned white by intense heat, tiny branches that withered before an approaching flame.

He hoped those clues eventually would lead him to a charred matchbook, or perhaps a cigarette butt or a burnt-out firecracker casing.

“Just going very slowly is pretty much the key to success in these things,” said Crowell’s partner, Lowell Smith, who stood nearby.

Crowell is an officer of the Oregon Department of Forestry’s Santiam Division. Smith is a fire officer for the Lakeview-based Fremont National Forest. Their other partner, Joe Crawford, also on his knees in the ashes, works in the State Department of Forestry’s Molalla office.

Their unusual cross-state, interagency fire investigation partnership was mirrored in the forest all around them, where other fire officers from the state forestry department and U.S. Forest Service worked in tandem with investigators from the federal Bureau of Land Management, Oregon State Police, federal Bureau of Indian Affairs and rural fire departments.

They all were in the Deschutes National Forest west of Bend last week to learn fire investigation from experts who’d come from around the Northwest and California.

The burn investigation workshop followed three days of classroom work at the Redmond Air Center.

For some students in the group, the class was a refresher course.

For others it was an introduction.

For all of them, the burn investigation was a strong incentive to take a shower.

“What we found,” Smith said, “was smoke inhalation.”