Bend firefighters, with help from U.S. Forest Service firefighters, quelled a quarter-acre brush fire Monday afternoon at 20720 Brinson Blvd., according to the Bend Fire Department.
A discarded cigarette probably started the fire along the fence line of Advanced Energy, a maker of solar power control technologies in northeast Bend, according to Deputy Fire Marshal Cindy Kettering. A city fire crew arrived to find employees with shovels and fire extinguishers fighting the growing blaze, according to Kettering’s report. The fire, reported at 3:44 p.m., with flames of 8-10 feet tall spread rapidly through heavy brush and juniper, according to Kettering.
“Citizens were attempting to fight the fire without training, protective clothing or proper equipment,” Kettering wrote. “This could have resulted in severe injury or even death.”
Nine firefighters quickly contained the fire without loss of property or injury.
In the event of a fire, Kettering advised, retreat to a safe location, ensure all are accounted for and wait for trained personnel to arrive.