Your Social Security questions answered

Q: How does a blind or visually impaired person sign up for or change a special notice option?

A: To sign up or change options, you can:

Call toll-free at 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778);

Visit your local Social Security office; contact the U.S. Embassy or consulate if you live outside the U.S.

For more information, go to

Q: What is a disability “trial work period?”

A: A trial work period is a work incentive that allows Social Security disability beneficiaries to test their ability to work without losing benefits. People who receive Social Security disability benefits can work for at least nine months without losing benefits. During this trial work period, you can get full benefits no matter how much you earn, as long as you continue to have a severe disabling impairment and you report your work activity. The trial work period continues until you complete nine trial work months within a 60-month period.

Find more information about this and other work incentives in our publication Working While Disabled — How We Can Help at

This image is copyrighted.