An apartment in northeast Bend was evacuated Sunday evening after smoke was reported just before 6 p.m.
Firefighters responded to the apartment at 1259 N.E. Purcell Blvd., where they evacuated residents and found the fire had already been extinguished, according to a press release from the Bend Fire Department. The apartment complex has multiple stories, and fire alarms alerted people living on one floor to the fire on the first floor. The fire was caused by an unattended cooking pan with “over-heated oil,” in a first-floor apartment, according to the fire department. The fire spread to the stovetop and cabinets before occupants extinguished it.
The fire department wants to remind people to turn off cooking devices immediately after they are done using them and keep a working fire extinguisher on every floor of the home. Fire officials also want to remind the community to maintain working smoke alarms and keep combustible substances away from cooking devices.
— Bulletin staff reports