Material in a dumpster spontaneously caught fire Tuesday evening after a construction company improperly disposed of painting and staining materials in La Pine., La Pine firefighters reported
According to the La Pine Rural Fire Protection District, firefighters responded to calls of a dumpster fire around 7:20 p.m. at Powder Village Condominiums. Area residents used portable fire extinguishers to control the fire until firefighters arrived. Firefighters controlled the fire and damage was limited to the dumpster.
After extinguishing the fire, an investigation revealed employees of CTS Remodeling and Clearwater Construction improperly disposed of the painting and staining materials, according to a statement from the fire protection district. A phone message left with CTS was not immediately returned. Representatives of Clearwater could not immediately be reached.
The fire protection district urges the proper disposal of materials containing paint or stain by placing the material in a bucket with water and a tight fitting lid or leaving the material to completely dry before throwing away.