Each year, spring break offers the opportunity to explore new places and deepen family bonds. Here are five ideas to consider this season:
• International adventure with Intrepid. The way the folks at Intrepid Travel see it, most kids are master icebreakers, eager to ask questions and make new friends. That’s why they’ve created a series of family adventures that include home stays with a multigenerational family in Morocco or meals at a tucked away trattoria, known only to resident Tuscans. Many departures are keyed to school holidays so families can plan a cross-cultural experience to dreamy destinations such as Brazil and Botswana. English-speaking, kid-friendly local guides will assist your small group in uncovering the most authentic experiences in your chosen destination.
Contact: 1-800-970-7299; intrepidtravel.com
• Whistler Blackcomb, Whistler, British Columbia. Enjoy a high-altitude holiday with the family in this pristine mountain enclave where kids can tap into a ski school experience designed for a specific age group. The whole gang can check out the tubing park, snowcat skiing and scenic sleigh rides as well as dog sled and snowshoe tours. For those eager to up the thrill factor, ask about winter zip lining and heli-skiing.
Contact: 1-888-882-8858; enjoywhistler.com
• Southampton, Bermuda. Have you ever built a seaside castle from pink sand? You and your family can do that and much more when spending your spring break at this luxurious island resort situated on 100 lush, flower-strewn acres. The Family Getaway package includes a complimentary adjoining room for the kids, a welcome amenity for the family and complimentary access to the Explorer’s Camp for kids. Hop aboard a Jet Ski, play golf and tennis, and explore historic forts.
Contact: 1-866-540-4497; fairmont.com/southampton-bermuda
• Sedona, Ariz. Movie nights, game nights, Twinkle Toes pedicures, ice cream socials and pizza-making with the resort’s Sicilian chef are all in your family’s future when you book the Hilton Sedona Resort & Spa’s Family Spring Break Spectacular. Plan to spend plenty of time outside in the art and nature lover’s mecca that USA Today called the most beautiful place in America. Check in with the Adventure Concierge to plan off-road Jeep tours, balloon rides, mountain biking or a helicopter tour of the stunning red rocks for which the region is famous.
Contact: 1-877-273-3762; hiltonsedonaresort.com
• Winston, N.M. Check into the Geronimo Trail Guest Ranch in the heart of the Gila National Forest for a genuine Old West adventure. Ride the same trails once traveled by Billy the Kid, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and famed Apache warrior Geronimo. Stay in a cozy cabin and play games next to a warming fireplace. Ask about special family discount weeks.
Contact: 575-772-5157; geronimoranch.com