* Oregon set to play Nebraska in NCAA regional final: Liz Brenner pounded 26 kills and Oregon defeated BYU 25-23, 25-21, 22-25, 25-12 on Friday to advance to the NCAA volleyball tournament Omaha Regional final in Omaha, Neb. The No. 5 Ducks will play fourth-seeded Nebraska tonight. The Cornhuskers swept Washington behind Gina Mancuso’s 14 kills and nine each from Morgan Broekhuis and Hannah Werth. The Huskers won by scores of 25-14, 25-21, 25-23.
• Indiana beats Creighton 1-0 in NCAA semifinal: Femi Hollinger-Janzen scored midway through the first half and Indiana held off Creighton 1-0 on Friday night in Hoover, Ala., to advance to the NCAA soccer final. The seven-time champion Hoosiers (15-5-3) will play Georgetown in the title game Sunday. The Hoyas beat Maryland 4-3 on penalty kicks following a 4-4 tie. The Hoosiers have allowed only two goals in four NCAA tournament games.
* Vols hire Cincinnati’s Jones as next coach: Tennessee has hired Cincinnati’s Butch Jones as its next football coach. Jones has a 50-27 record in six seasons as a head coach. He went 27-13 in three seasons at Central Michigan and has gone 23-14 at Cincinnati the past three years. He followed Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly at each of those stops. At Tennessee, the 44-year-old Jones will succeed Derek Dooley, who was fired Nov. 18 after going 15-21 in three years. Dooley posted a losing record in each of his three seasons at Tennessee, the first time since 1909-11 the Volunteers have finished below .500 three straight years.
* University of Hawaii names Ohio State’s Jay new AD: The University of Hawaii has named a new athletic director. Ben Jay, a senior associate athletics director at Ohio State, will take over the job. The announcement was made by news release Friday afternoon, and comes as the University of Hawaii seeks to put the fallout from a botched charity concert behind it. Jay will replace Jim Donovan, who was given a new post following a bungled Stevie Wonder concert and athletic department fundraiser earlier this year.
• Blazers assign 2 to D-league: The Trail Blazers have assigned rookies Will Barton and Victor Claver to Portland’s development league affiliate, the Idaho Stampede. Barton has played in 16 games for the Blazers this season, averaging 2.6 points and 1.4 rebounds in 8.8 minutes per game. Claver, a 6-foot-10 forward from Spain, was selected by the Blazers in the 2009 draft and signed with the team this summer. He has appeared in four games this season, averaging 0.3 points and one rebound per game.
— From wire reports