Combustible items too close to a space heater ignited a fire that destroyed a house in northeast Bend on Thursday morning.
A smoke alarm woke the occupant of a house in the 3400 block of Northeast Purcell around 3:30 a.m. She escaped and called 911.
The house was declared a loss, with the value of the house and contents estimated at $300,000.
Fire investigators believe the space heater was turned on automatically by its built-in thermostat when temperatures dipped into the 20s.
Deputy Fire Marshall Dan Derlacki said the Red Cross provided assistance to the woman to get clothing and food, and she is staying as the guest of a tenant in a rental property she owns.